Graphics
EVGA Superclocked GTX 680 2gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Finally have done enough research i think to be able to start purchasing parts for my machine. I am buying a majority of the parts after mountain lion is released, but things like case, HDD's and optical drive i will buy sooner rather than later.

I have been looking at multiple CPU's but the 3930K is what I'm going with.

Done more research and the speedstep worries me as it will be left on overnight and therefore cpu could get very hot shortening life. So looking at either 2700k or equivalent ivy bridge cpu.

I want to be able to add and change this in the future. When new tech becomes compatible.

Components:

Processor:

Intel 3930k, Sandybridge-E processor. Intel 2700k or

Motherboard:

Asus P9X79 Pro

I know that is board doesn't work perfectly, like sleep etc, but i can live with that, would like USB 3.0 if any one has any info on getting that working for this board.

Have to change mother board so looking at Asus Maximus v formula when its released.

Case:

CM Storm Trooper

Its cool looking, large case so has plenty of room for watercooling.

Case has been bought and its huge love it.

Memory:

Either corsair vengeance or dominator. This will be in 8gb sticks so that i could eventually max out my Motherboard. I know dominator is better but price is an issue, is the memory speed a huge difference between the 1333mHz and say the 1600mHz etc.

Storage:

For the boot drive i am going with a single SSD, probably a crucial M4 128gb. Is raid 0 a good idea in the future or is it safer to stick with the single SSD.
Seagate Barracuda 2Tb 7200rpm for music, films, photos etc
Also an old 120gb HDD for running windows.

Optical Drive

Finally a Compatible Sony DVD drive (Sony AD-7260S)

Graphics card:

I like gaming, so i eventually i want a nVidia 670 or 680 in the future but for now i am going with a XFX 6870 2gb, this this worth it. I have looked into and i think it is but any opinions experiences with this card would be helpful.

Due to Mountain Lion having nVidia 670 compatibility and the price of cpu and mother board being less, can afford this straight off instead of buying a xfx 6870.

PSU:

Corsair HX750, I have read good reviews on this PSU, its not the cheapest but its modular and reliable.

Cooling:

Going with the stock cooler (i know, pillock) but don't want to spend money on something that i will replace in a couple of months when i have the money for full watercooling. If you have any suggestions/experiences with a cheap CPU cooler (<£20, <$30) that would be better i am all ears. Now cpu and motherboard will be less money hopefully going to watercool straight off.

This has been a long time researching but all help and advice is very welcome!!

Cheers :)

Re: Staples262's 2700K/3770K build

Changes made to my build, any advice would be good and a compatibility check.

Cheers

Staples262 said:
Finally have done enough research i think to be able to start purchasing parts for my machine. I am buying a majority of the parts after mountain lion is released, but things like case, HDD's and optical drive i will buy sooner rather than later.

I have been looking at multiple CPU's but the 3930K is what I'm going with.

Done more research and the speedstep worries me as it will be left on overnight and therefore cpu could get very hot shortening life. So looking at either 2700k or equivalent ivy bridge cpu.

I want to be able to add and change this in the future. When new tech becomes compatible.

Components:

Processor:

Intel 3930k, Sandybridge-E processor. Intel 2700k or

Motherboard:

Asus P9X79 Pro

I know that is board doesn't work perfectly, like sleep etc, but i can live with that, would like USB 3.0 if any one has any info on getting that working for this board.

Have to change mother board so looking at Asus Maximus v formula when its released.

Case:

CM Storm Trooper

Its cool looking, large case so has plenty of room for watercooling.

Case has been bought and its huge love it.

Memory:

Either corsair vengeance or dominator. This will be in 8gb sticks so that i could eventually max out my Motherboard. I know dominator is better but price is an issue, is the memory speed a huge difference between the 1333mHz and say the 1600mHz etc.

Storage:

For the boot drive i am going with a single SSD, probably a crucial M4 128gb. Is raid 0 a good idea in the future or is it safer to stick with the single SSD.
Seagate Barracuda 2Tb 7200rpm for music, films, photos etc
Also an old 120gb HDD for running windows.

Optical Drive

Finally a Compatible Sony DVD drive (Sony AD-7260S)

Graphics card:

I like gaming, so i eventually i want a nVidia 670 or 680 in the future but for now i am going with a XFX 6870 2gb, this this worth it. I have looked into and i think it is but any opinions experiences with this card would be helpful.

Due to Mountain Lion having nVidia 670 compatibility and the price of cpu and mother board being less, can afford this straight off instead of buying a xfx 6870.

PSU:

Corsair HX750, I have read good reviews on this PSU, its not the cheapest but its modular and reliable.

Cooling:

Going with the stock cooler (i know, pillock) but don't want to spend money on something that i will replace in a couple of months when i have the money for full watercooling. If you have any suggestions/experiences with a cheap CPU cooler (<£20, <$30) that would be better i am all ears. Now cpu and motherboard will be less money hopefully going to watercool straight off.

This has been a long time researching but all help and advice is very welcome!!

Cheers :)

You want to upgrade your CPU in the future without changing the motherboard? That probably won't do. We already know that the Intel CPUs to be released next year will NOT be compatible with current motherboards as they use a different socket.

I have no idea if GTX670 will be supported under Mountain Lion at this time. Are you really sure it is supported?

Personally I would go with the 2600K or 2700K myself as it is cheaper (than the 3770K) and is quite compatible. The 3770K does not have a significant performance advantage over either of these. And if you plan to overclock the 3770K can be significantly hotter depending on how high you want to overclock.

You want to upgrade your CPU in the future without changing the motherboard? That probably won't do. We already know that the Intel CPUs to be released next year will NOT be compatible with current motherboards as they use a different socket.

Don't want to upgrade my CPU at least not for 3-4years.
I have no idea if GTX670 will be supported under Mountain Lion at this time. Are you really sure it is supported?

I had read somewhere that it is likely to be, but anyways i am waiting until mountain lion is released

Personally I would go with the 2600K or 2700K myself as it is cheaper (than the 3770K) and is quite compatible. The 3770K does not have a significant performance advantage over either of these. And if you plan to overclock the 3770K can be significantly hotter depending on how high you want to overclock.

Kinda of what i had thought, but its the new technology (3D transistors). But i do agree the extra money and the issue with overclocking do make the 2700K a more appealing option.

Cheers for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back