Contribute
Register

Stable system now hangs at boot on gray screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GeForce GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The only thing I have changed was adding a backup drive and enabling time machine. It even worked like that for a few days but today I came home to a system that sounded awake but black screen and no response (couldn't even log in remotely so it wasn't Trouble with Bluetooth.)

now after multiple restarts it only boots with -x flag.

What might have changed? I tried booting with and without the drive plugged in. The readout goes by too fast to catch the last thing before it goes gray, but once I was able to get it to stop at the point where the pic is attached.

I'm using Chameleon.

Windows boots fine.

GIgabyte Z97x-ud3h blk, i7 4790k

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 253
The only thing I have changed was adding a backup drive and enabling time machine. It even worked like that for a few days but today I came home to a system that sounded awake but black screen and no response (couldn't even log in remotely so it wasn't Trouble with Bluetooth.)

now after multiple restarts it only boots with -x flag.

What might have changed? I tried booting with and without the drive plugged in. The readout goes by too fast to catch the last thing before it goes gray, but once I was able to get it to stop at the point where the pic is attached.

I'm using Chameleon.

Windows boots fine.

GIgabyte Z97x-ud3h blk, i7 4790k

Required AppleRTC patch. Install it from Multibeast.

That was the only time I was able to get an actual error, and while that has been fixed the hanging gray screen has not.

It seems sporadic: one day it will work totally fine through multiple reboots, no flags, and the next day I can't even get it into safe mode. What gives? I'm not changing any configuration settings. What are some possible causes of this that I might try to investigate?

About 80% of the time the mouse works even in the gray screen, the rest of the time it's a total freeze

Used combinations of -f, -no-zp, -x, to no avail

That was the only time I was able to get an actual error, and while that has been fixed the hanging gray screen has not.

It seems sporadic: one day it will work totally fine through multiple reboots, no flags, and the next day I can't even get it into safe mode. What gives? I'm not changing any configuration settings. What are some possible causes of this that I might try to investigate?

About 80% of the time the mouse works even in the gray screen, the rest of the time it's a total freeze

Used combinations of -f, -no-zp, -x, to no avail

Once you successfully booted in to OS X, just rebuild the cache and repair disk permissions (Use the utility DPCIManager to perform this operation). Then check.

I was able to boot it up in safe mode. Tried the DCPI utility as described but same results every time. Gray screen with movable cursor but no other sign of life.

Anyone else?? I'm dying to know why a system which runs perfectly fine one day will suddenly completely shut me out the next, when I have changed nothing. Auto update is not on so it did not install anything behind my back. No peripherals are plugged in or on. Windows runs fine.

I tried restarting it with various system definitions (loaded through multibeast in safe mode), and every combination of boot flags I can think of.

the last thing that I can see before it goes from text to gray is AWDLPowerManager and the line Set AWDL AutoMode: Resuming AWDL

Anyone else?? I'm dying to know why a system which runs perfectly fine one day will suddenly completely shut me out the next, when I have changed nothing. Auto update is not on so it did not install anything behind my back. No peripherals are plugged in or on. Windows runs fine.

I tried restarting it with various system definitions (loaded through multibeast in safe mode), and every combination of boot flags I can think of.

the last thing that I can see before it goes from text to gray is AWDLPowerManager and the line Set AWDL AutoMode: Resuming AWDL

Better use the System Definition MacPro 3,1

Set the graphics card as your Primary video adapter in BIOS and disable internal graphics.
Try connecting monitor different port (Use only DVI/HDMI)

Boot with the flags "dart=0 PCIRootUID=1 GraphcisEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No -f -v"

Good Luck..!

I've already been doing all of those things from the beginning....hence why I had a stable system in the first place.

dart=0 shouldn't be necessary as I have VTd disabled in bios

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 118
I've already been doing all of those things from the beginning....hence why I had a stable system in the first place.

dart=0 shouldn't be necessary as I have VTd disabled in bios

Try with "nv_disable=1 -f -v". Let's see any progress on the booting or not.

nope. Gray screen no cursor now.

maybe I'm not explaining my problem clearly enough. This gray screen occurs after the -v text is done scrolling, at about the time I would normally be sent to the login screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back