Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H77N
CPU
Graphics
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr OC
Hi, this is a wonderful forum.
I used macs for more than 15 years. But now they cost too much for a power hungry machine. I am from Italy so I will display the best price I've found here.

GOAL: a 1300€ machine. I need stability before anything (no crashes, no sleep issue, working FCPX, old apps and games working)
Also an as silent build as an iMac would be great.
Power comes last. Please help me discover if this is what I want:

First thing first, a great monitor:
Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2412M 252€

There are a ton of cases, the one suggested feels good but I hope it's not very noisy
Case Corsair Mid-Tower Carbide 500R 99€

Power Supply: I prefer a good one
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W 100€

This motherboard seems great for my needs:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 180€

Dont want more than this cpu:
Intel i5-3570K 6MB Cache up to 3.80 GHz €200

This card has a great price, but only a couple of people has it here so I need some help here, I dont want to spend more or less, I feel it's the right one for what I need (video editing and some gaming):
EVGA GTX660 TI SC 2048MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,DP [02G-P4-3662-KR] 255,73€

The ram seems a pretty solid choice:
Corsair 2 x DIMM 4 Gb 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 mhz 47€

HDD prefer some extra warranty
WESTERN-DIGITAL HARD DISK WESTERN-DIGITAL 1TB CAVIAR BLACK SATA3 3.5 7200/64MB WD1002FAEX 85€

SDD just for apps this is still the best
Samsung MZ-7PC128B/WW 128 GB 84€

Total: 1294€ +6€ estimated for delivering, and I'm still on budget

No disc drive/keyboard/mouse/bluetooth needed :)

Looks good! Are you only getting 4 GB of RAM? I would go for at least 8 GB.

Looks good! Are you only getting 4 GB of RAM? I would go for at least 8 GB.

disvar said:
Corsair 2 x DIMM 4 Gb 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 mhz 50€

There are a ton of cases, the one suggested feels good but I hope it's not very noisy
Case Corsair Mid-Tower Carbide 500R 100€

It's a fairly quiet case according to the reviews I've seen. YMMV as always though.

Power Supply: I prefer a good one
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W 100€

Seems to be well reviewed.

This motherboard seems great for my needs:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 188€

Only thing it is missing is thunderbolt, but let's face it. It really isn't that useful currently.

This card has a great price, but only a couple of people has it here so I need some help here, I dont want to spend more or less, I feel it's the right one for what I need (video editing and some gaming):
EVGA GTX660 TI SC 2048MB,PCI-E,2xDVI,HDMI,DP [02G-P4-3662-KR] 255,73€

I tend to favor the non-reference coolers. In any case, it is an excellent card. I don't think any of the 660ti are bad cards.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/21

SDD just for apps this is still the best
VTX3-25SAT3-120​G OCZ Vertex 3 Series SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive Hard Disk da 120GB 100€

If you want to do video work, a Sandforce drive like the Vertex is not the best choice. Because they depend on compressing data before writing it for much of their speed, they don't do well with highly compressed data like video. You want to look at a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 most likely. Possibly a Vertex 4 (not Sandforce based), but they have some quirks that make me hesitate to recommend them. Avoid the Agility 4, even though it may well have a great price on it.

I would also consider going with a 256gb/250gb SSD given the way prices have been dropping on this side of the pond. But I don't know if that's true over in Italy.

Thanks for the fast answers.

Yes they are 2 x 4gb modules. Although I can assure you that's useful only on FCP, mac os works good even at 2gb.

Thunderbolt? Can't afford it for now! I will be patient with Usb3...

The GPU is the most difficult piece for me. I choose the EVGA SC only for the price.
That review you linked talks about 37 db, so it should be silent but coming from an iMac, you know, it could be a little noisy. Also, I would prefer a regular one, I dont need 3 fps more. But it costs more o_O

Great precision on SSD. I will search for the other ones.

Thanks for the fast answers.

Yes they are 2 x 4gb modules. Although I can assure you that's useful only on FCP, mac os works good even at 2gb.

I can guarantee you with 2gb of ram your computer would run like junk...

Here's my activity monitor after a fresh restart NO APPS RUNNING...
8031389108_434cdc5691_o.png

If your gonna say things like this don't be surprised later when no one responds to you...

wow, you are so intelligent and have a great way to present your opinion.
Here is my current system with a film running on QT, safari, Mail and MarsEdit opened

Schermata 2012-09-28 a 14.15.37.png

And I have no problem. Of course if you consider a computer of a couple of years ago.

If you can garantee that my experience is junk level, either you're a mac os novice or have a distorted perception of it.
Maybe your 2000$ hardware makes you judging other users too hard. Be polite.

I dont think that all people here shares your opinion.

wow, you are so intelligent and have a great way to present your opinion.
Here is my current system with a film running on QT, safari, Mail and MarsEdit opened

View attachment 32985

And I have no problem. Of course if you consider a computer of a couple of years ago.

If you can garantee that my experience is junk level, either you're a mac os novice or have a distorted perception of it.
Maybe your 2000$ hardware makes you judging other users too hard. Be polite.

I dont think that all people here shares your opinion.

I was never calling your experience junk.. I was just commenting on your assurance to members that 2gb of ram is sufficient for MAC OS.. I was simply showing that on my system, just having the desktop up is already consuming 2gb of ram.. obviously you're talking about an old machine and most likely an old version of os, probably leopard or snow leopard.. Well when you build your new machine I would recommend you get 16gb of ram, it's not much more. And get the samsung 830 ssd, its the best one out there and apple is even using samsung ssd as OEM equipment.

And my hardware is more like 10,000$ Dont forget about my audio cards ;)

Oh and also, keep your insults to yourself, nobody commented on your intelligence or said you'e a novice.. and I don't appreciate you escalating it to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back