GTX 550 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So this is my first hackintosh, I've got everything installed properly. But I've had issues with the machine freezing and getting random beach balls of doom.

Is this typical for a hackintosh? I've been told that they're just as stabile as legitimate Mac, but so far that's not what I'm seeing. I've also had issues with the USB ports, I've read that's typical of this motherboard, but I've also heard that it can be fixed, however I've yet to find a guide or suggestion on how to make it happen.

My hardware is as follows:
Mobo - GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
CPU - i7 3770K
GPU - GTX 550 Ti
RAM - Corsair 1333Mhz 8GB

I have the same board and my system is running smooth for me. I'm actually running 10.8.5 with usb ports working and my uad apollo is running on the Thunderbolt port with the Thunderbolt card.. My config has the 3770k chip with 16 gigs of ram with the AsusGTX 660 video card with 2 gigs of ram. I used Multibeast 5.4.3 I can send you my beast settings and answer any question I can. No freezing or anything like that. I've had the machine running about two weeks now and have done a few recording sessions.

I think I've managed to stabilize it by choosing a different sys definition. I was using the Mac Pro 3,1 sys def, but now I'm using the iMac 13,1. I am interested to know what you chose in Multibeast and your bios settings to get all of the USB ports working.

Edit: Also my audio works fine other than one really weird quirk. If my audio remain inactive for a while, followed by playback of any sound it will make a loud *pop*. It's really irritating. Not sure if that can be alleviated or not.

What steps do you go through on this particular setup to get it fully working from a fresh install?

It seems our hardware is similar but still different. You have the the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, and I have the GA-Z77X-UP4 TH. They're very similar but there are differences. Our audio and network chipsets are different, but your advice to use the Mac Pro 5,1 sys def has made a world of difference. I also manage to tweak the settings in my bios and in chameleon wizard to get all of my USB ports working, however they're still kinda weird at times.. I really don't know what else to do to make them work for sure.. It's just the way this motherboard is I guess. I'm still having some weird issues now and again with audio. It no longer makes that *pop* but now if audio playback has been going for awhile, the quality tends to degrade and it sounds very scratchy. It's hard to describe... I might make a video on it later. But over all I took a lot of what you did with your setup and it seems to have helped.

I have the UP4 too and its very stable here. All my USB ports work without a glitch.
If you want to get rid of the POP of you system audio, use MacPro(3.1 or 5.1) definition, or the pop killer; antipop
I had a higher geekbench score if i make my machine a macpro 3.1. I think MacPro 5.1 was not working here IIRC. I could be wrong though.

The USB kext should be GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6d2 to make all USB ports work.

Okay, I think I got the pop thing under control. So what bios version are you using and what settings do you have under the peripherals tab? Also do you have any USB related options enabled for your boot loader? Currently I'm using Chameleon v2263 with EHCI Acquire fix and USB Legacy Off.. but I still have issues with my lower set of USB ports. Sometimes they work and other times they don't. It usually requires a reboot to get them going.

Also what other options in Multibeast do you have selected?

Here's what I'm talking about as far as the stability goes, it happens occasionally but it doesn't always go away like it did that time.

[video=youtube_share;BPUDDqjiu-A]http://youtu.be/BPUDDqjiu-A[/video]

Bios: F9.
As described in this:

xHCI mode on Auto
Legacy USB port support ENABLED
XHCI hand of ENABLED
EHCI hand of ENABLED

Chimera 2.2
Multibeast 5.5; Audio drivers; realtek 892, Fake SMC and Fakeplugins.
MacPro 3.1
Added using kextwizard:
GenericUSBXHCI_1.2.6d2
RealtekRTL8111.kext (Ethernet)

I don't see the problem in the video. I see your mouse hovering over the dock, but i don't know what's going wrong there.

Actually I have the same machine you have. Check my sig I have two hackintoshs I have both the 4 and the 5. I brought the 4 because the 5 isn't being sold anymore and I'm not paying 400 bucks for the 5 on ebay and amazon. I just setup the z77x-UP4-TH two weeks ago here are my specs for my setup. I have no problems no lockups or crashes.

z77x-UP4-TH F9 Bios
i7 3770k not OC
16gigs of corsair cmd16gx3m2a 1600 cas 9 mem
ASUS NVIDIA GTX660 2gig video card
Boot disk is a Crucial 512 SSD
1TB WD Velocity Raptor Data
1TB WD Velocity Raptor Tracking
Areca ARC-1213-4i 4-Port controller with 4 1TB WD red drives setup as two Raid 0 Volumes used for Virtual Instruments
UAD apollo quad with Thunderbolt card connected to Boards Thunderbolt port

I installed with Multibeast 5.4.3 but updated somethings with 5.5.1
Chimera 2.0.1 for imessage reasons but it's still not working lol
I did the 18.5.8 update from auto update. All usb ports are working with the usb fix that's now in Multibeast 5.5.1

Actually I have the same machine you have. Check my sig I have two hackintoshs I have both the 4 and the 5. I brought the 4 because the 5 isn't being sold anymore and I'm not paying 400 bucks for the 5 on ebay and amazon. I just setup the z77x-UP4-TH two weeks ago here are my specs for my setup. I have no problems no lockups or crashes.

z77x-UP4-TH F9 Bios
i7 3770k not OC
16gigs of corsair cmd16gx3m2a 1600 cas 9 mem
ASUS NVIDIA GTX660 2gig video card
Boot disk is a Crucial 512 SSD
1TB WD Velocity Raptor Data
1TB WD Velocity Raptor Tracking
Areca ARC-1213-4i 4-Port controller with 4 1TB WD red drives setup as two Raid 0 Volumes used for Virtual Instruments
UAD apollo quad with Thunderbolt card connected to Boards Thunderbolt port

I installed with Multibeast 5.4.3 but updated somethings with 5.5.1
Chimera 2.0.1 for imessage reasons but it's still not working lol
I did the 18.5.8 update from auto update. All usb ports are working with the usb fix that's now in Multibeast 5.5.1

What are your 64bit Geekbench scores for both of your systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back