Contribute
Register

SSD with High Sierra partition blocks uefi bios setting and usb installer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-P
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630 / GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Help please, if I do not solve this problem I abandon the idea of having a hackintosh, I am very upset and I do not think I would recommend this experience to anyone.

After months of working the system very well, one of those days, after entering Clover and entering the High Sierra partition, a black screen appeared with a horizontal prompt cursor, the same happened in the Recovery window.

At that time I went to see the UEFI configuration and it turned out that it also had a black screen, I tried the boot menu of my Asus motherboard and it also gave a black screen.

I reseted the bios ram memory, I also tried removing the battery and holding the power button (with the power supply off) for 25 seconds, but there was no solution

After researching I read that this could be the result of physical damage on the board or SSD, by chance I tried to extract the SSD and it was already working.

On Windows using explorer plus plus and Diskpart to mount the image I got to replace the uefi files with those of the backup.

Everything has gone well for more than 20 days but suddenly when turning off the PC normally and restarting, the problem returned.

This time I wanted to think that it was a rootkit (bootkit) that had hijacked the system. I used the tssdkiller and the GMER of Avast, getting rid of a virus called MBR Backboot-G Rtk.

After removing this rootkit, I tried to enter bios and the boot menu without any results.

Everything is as in the beginning, I even deleted all the contents of the EFI GPT to try, having to install another disk in the motherboard with Ubuntu and Windows, Ubuntu allowed access to my EFI backups of the Mac partition (which is visible from Ubuntu and Paragon Software).

And Windows to use Diskpart and Explorer Plus Plus again.

The general idea is that there is no physical problem, motherboard and SSD, these work normally, the same way the system works correctly but the partition of high Sierra or its boot, block the entry, in addition to restore it from a backup does not happen at all .

Note: I can not enter using the pendrive with Multibeast (trying to enter the HS partition using the efi boot of the external unit instead of the SSD). I use same uefi-bios settings from good first success time. I did not remove kexts or Clover config, we had to realize that I backed up a success installation efi on a folder, but this thing is not set longer to boot into.

Installer runs ok in the new SSD but it gets stuck in the efi corrupted SSD (blank screen with corner upper left prompt)

I would appreciate the help of Macintosh-loving fandom and people happy with this portability project to PC.

Last edited:
Were you able to enter the BIOS screen of your system if no drives are connected? Are you saying that with the problematic SSD connected you can't enter the BIOS?

Were you able to enter the BIOS screen of your system if no drives are connected? Are you saying that with the problematic SSD connected you can't enter the BIOS?

Exactly, the Mac partitioned SSD drive is failing when:

1.Booting from a Clover USB installer pendrive (I am into Clover menu but if select ANY partition to starting I got a black screen with that corner up underscore).
2.Going into uefi bios (F2 in Asus Z370P). Here I got simply a black screen without prompt underscore.
3.Listing the boot manager (F8 in Asus motherboard)

I have to say I can boot an install pendrive if I extract before the problematic ssd, then I am going into bios, changing boot priority and putting the SSD back . Only in this way.

Failing SSD's partitions are read accesible from Ubuntu or Windows.

Also I tried with Asus Graphic Card, Intel Graphics, CSM enabled disabled, Secure boot on/off... a lot of config combinations.

Note: Windows starts but bios setup or boot manager list won't start. When I use Shift+Restart in Windows and I select the advanced option "check uefi config", result is a black screen.

Exactly, the Mac partitioned SSD drive is failing when:

1.Booting from a Clover USB installer pendrive (I am into Clover menu but if select ANY partition to starting I got a black screen with that corner up underscore).
2.Going into uefi bios (F2 in Asus Z370P). Here I got simply a black screen without prompt underscore.
3.Listing the boot manager (F8 in Asus motherboard)

I have to say I can boot an install pendrive if I extract before the problematic ssd, then I am going into bios, changing boot priority and putting the SSD back . Only in this way.

Failing SSD's partitions are read accessible from Ubuntu or Windows.

Also I tried with Asus Graphic Card, Intel Graphics, CSM enabled disabled, Secure boot on/off... a lot of config combinations.

Note: Windows starts but bios setup or boot manager list won't start. When I use Shift+Restart in Windows and I select the advanced option "check uefi config", result is a black screen.

Is it only this problematic SSD that is causing problems with your computer? If so, how about trying to reformat and repartition your SSD on another computer to see if the SSD really has a problem?

I would not like to lose my config, applications and files, also i want to know problem source to fix it in future. Do you mean trying this ssd on another motherboard or formatting it?.

Windows runs ok in the problematic ssd, macOS leads to black screen.

Even I prefer to boot this ssd on a Macbook with Thunderbolt 3 using an m2 adapter when I get a real Thunderbolt supported one instead of erase the ssd, i don't like that option.

Last edited:
I would not like to lose my config, applications and files, also i want to know problem source to fix it in future. Do you mean trying this ssd on another motherboard or formatting it?.

Windows runs ok in the problematic ssd, macOS leads to black screen.

Even I prefer to boot this ssd on a Macbook with Thunderbolt 3 using an m2 adapter when I get a real Thunderbolt supported one instead of erase the ssd, i don't like that option.

Yes, but if you do not want to format it, how about trying to boot from it on another system or seeing whether with the SSD connected you can enter the BIOS on another system?

The fact that Windows still runs on it does not mean anything other than it still sort of works, but I believe the fact that it is interfering with the BIOS is a problem. You have not mentioned whether the SSD is NVMe or SATA. How do you connect the SSD to the computer? Is it via the M.2 slot?

Yes, but if you do not want to format it, how about trying to boot from it on another system or seeing whether with the SSD connected you can enter the BIOS on another system?

The fact that Windows still runs on it does not mean anything other than it still sort of works, but I believe the fact that it is interfering with the BIOS is a problem. You have not mentioned whether the SSD is NVMe or SATA. How do you connect the SSD to the computer? Is it via the M.2 slot?

Yes, it s a NVMe in a M.2 slot.
I could ask for someone to test ssd on another motherboard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back