Contribute
Register

SSD with dead chameleon prevents boot (even other devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey there,
I just installed some GUI (cant remember the name or look it up either) to edit the Chemeleon settings. I didnt exactly know what i was doing but i think ive installed someting to the EFI partition - how stupid, now the system won´t boot anymore as long as the osx-hd (64gb crucial m4) is inserted.
the system freezes with the message "loading operating system".
when i select my windows hd or my cd drive from the boot menu, they won´t boot as long as the sata cable of the m4 64gb is connected.
when i pull it out, boot from cd oder windows-hd works fine.
so my problem is that i cant even launch rescue- or partitioning tools to fix the problem, because the messed-up bootloader of the 64gb ssd hinders every boot process, even if its not selected as startup in bios.
any ideas?

afromate said:
Hey there,
I just installed some GUI (cant remember the name or look it up either) to edit the Chemeleon settings. I didnt exactly know what i was doing but i think ive installed someting to the EFI partition - how stupid, now the system won´t boot anymore as long as the osx-hd (64gb crucial m4) is inserted.
the system freezes with the message "loading operating system".
when i select my windows hd or my cd drive from the boot menu, they won´t boot as long as the sata cable of the m4 64gb is connected.
when i pull it out, boot from cd oder windows-hd works fine.
so my problem is that i cant even launch rescue- or partitioning tools to fix the problem, because the messed-up bootloader of the 64gb ssd hinders every boot process, even if its not selected as startup in bios.
any ideas?

Sounds bad... Try putting it in an external case, booting your system and then plugging it in to USB to repair it. Do you have another drive you can load osx onto temporary so you can access the drive as external?

Do you not have a backup/clone? I always backup before making any changes like that.
Check out carbon copy cloner. It's free and amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back