I5-8600K
Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I have a hackintosh with macOS BigSur 11.7.8. Initially, there was one SSD of 500 gb with the OS and another one of 1 tb with my files.

I disconnected the 1 tb one and I replaced it with a 250gb to check what it contains. It was a NTFS format. I reformatted it with diskutil terminal.

I switched back to the 1 tb and BAD SURPRISED macOS recognized it as the partition of the other one (even if the NTFS one was not power up).

I would like to know if someone can help me to retrieve all my important data ? I really don't understand how all my data had disappear.

Here's the result with diskutil.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-03 à 23.38.24.png

Looks to me as if you have formatted the wrong drive and wiped your data from the 1TB drive.

At the least you appear to have removed the synthesized APFS Volume that should hold the data from the 1TB drive. The 250GB drive should not show as being the synthesized APFS Volume.

I am assuming those are all the drives shown when you use the diskutil terminal command.

What does Disk Utility show for the 1TB drive?

Looks to me as if you have formatted the wrong drive and wiped your data from the 1TB drive.

At the least you appear to have removed the synthesized APFS Volume that should hold the data from the 1TB drive. The 250GB drive should not show as being the synthesized APFS Volume.

I am assuming those are all the drives shown when you use the diskutil terminal command.

What does Disk Utility show for the 1TB drive?

From my point of view it is impossible that I formatted the wrong drive since it was not powered up ...

What we can see on the image is only the 1 terabyte SSD (disk0s2) and as you can see the synthesized APFS Volume 850EVO is on the 1 tb disk.

I am wondering if it is possible to access the data without a synthetized partition. I fact, the data are on the disk because I can access them with Disk Drill software ...

You have messed up the APFS Volume, don’t know what you have done but you have definitely done something wrong.

If you can access the date in the missing APFS Volume then I suggest you copy it to another drive. Before you can’t.

You have messed up the APFS Volume, don’t know what you have done but you have definitely done something wrong.

If you can access the date in the missing APFS Volume then I suggest you copy it to another drive. Before you can’t.
So , no possibilities to reconstruct the original APFS volume ?

Not that I am aware of.

Back