Contribute
Register

SSD Sata III Buying for Hackintosh Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD530 + GTX 1080
Thanks all in advance.
I am considering buying an SATA III (6.0Gbit/s) SSD for the newly upgraded Lion Hackintosh. Motherboard supports SATA III of course. It's also heard Lion would support SATA III, for Apple Only SSDs. I am not sure if there is any 3rd party compatible SSD that would work on a Lion system with full speed and TRIM. or is there any way to fix around it. If I had to buy one, which one do you guys suggest? OCZ, OWC, or InteL?\

Thanks

bboczeng said:
...I am considering buying an SATA III (6.0Gbit/s) SSD for the newly upgraded Lion Hackintosh...It's also heard Lion would support SATA III, for Apple Only SSDs...
No, 3rd party SSDs with SandForce controllers are supported like regular hard drives in the desktop Macs. The SSDs in the laptops are the issue.

There are several great reviews out there for SSDs. Trying Google'ing "SSD review".

Tom's H/W site had a recent review on SSDs: Best SSDs For The Money: May 2011 All of the reviews I've read like the OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs. You can find them on sale for <$100 for a 64GB SSD or <$200 for 120/128GB SSD. Google "OCZ Vertex 3 review".

I've got a OCZ Vertex 2 64GB in my P55M-UD2 build. Awesome. But, I decided not to put one in my 2nd build. I must admit that I don't miss the SSD, yet.

how about some Intel 510 SSDs?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back