Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
RX 580
Right now I have Vertex 2 120GB SSD inside my hackintosh. Since it supposed to have a good garbage collection I didn't enable TRIM through Multibeast.
Well... I tested the performance of the drive today with Blackmagic Speedtest and all I got is 70mb write and 140mb read. This are hilariously low numbers, so what's up with that? I did try AJA and got 240/250, numbers that are comparable to numbers I got in Win7 system. I could say that Speedtest by Blackmagic is ****, but the same program gives me great numbers on my Macbook Air (256GB version), where I got around 270/270... so what's the catch? Should I enable TRIM, some drivers missing,... or what?

thanks for helping me out in advance

Are you sure you have it plugged into a SATA 3 port?

I have the same SSD. Run Terminal and try that:

dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=8192 count=100000

Yopu should get an Outout like that:

100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
819200000 bytes transferred in 3.566484 secs (229694008 bytes/sec)

then type ls -lah and you'll see this in your home folder:

...781M 22 Mai 20:43 tempfile

As you can see, dd wrote 781MB in 3,5 sec.

Delete the tempfile after that with: rm tempfile

BTW: I use Trim Enabler

karacho said:
I have the same SSD. Run Terminal and try that:

dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=8192 count=100000

Yopu should get an Outout like that:

100000+0 records in
100000+0 records out
819200000 bytes transferred in 3.566484 secs (229694008 bytes/sec)

then type ls -lah and you'll see this in your home folder:

...781M 22 Mai 20:43 tempfile

As you can see, dd wrote 781MB in 3,5 sec.

Delete the tempfile after that with: rm tempfile

BTW: I use Trim Enabler

why do I have to do that? what problem am I dealing with?

btw. I have it pluged in sata2 port, as the drive is only sata2 compatible and first gen i7 motherboards (1366) don't have sata3 ports...

You can't get better speeds with SATA 2. You need SATA 3.

Since you're on a sata II port, 384 MB/s is the max you'll ever get.

All ssd's have a garbage collection function, it runs in the background and clears the cells that were marked for deletion by the computer. TRIM is a command sent from the pc that tells the ssd's onboard firmware what/where it needs to run garbage collection. Without TRIM enabled, your ssd will eventually become very slow as the cells with deleted data have never been marked as 'open' cells by garbage collection.

However, if this is a brand new drive, TRIM enabled or not, it should perform at it's max speed.

My advice is to enable TRIM (TRIM Enabler is a good application) and let your computer idle for several hours, allowing the garbage collection to run.

You can check if TRIM is enabled by going to Apple>About This Mac>More Info>System Report>Serial-ATA>Select your SSD>Trim Support: YES/NO

Best of luck!

p8blr said:
My advice is to enable TRIM (TRIM Enabler is a good application) and let your computer idle for several hours, allowing the garbage collection to run.
I wouldn't use any App which installs uneccessary drivers (sometimes even crappy kexts.) Just run Multibeast and select Trim Support in addition with System Utilities ticked. It'll run a perlscript and patch the IOAHCIBlockStorage Plugin in IOAHCIFamily.kext. You can force trimming unused Blocks by booting in Single User Mode and do a: fsck -fy

FYI: -> http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

karacho said:
p8blr said:
I wouldn't use any App which installs uneccessary drivers (sometimes even crappy kexts.) Just run Multibeast and select Trim Support in addition with System Utilities ticked. It'll run a perlscript and patch the IOAHCIBlockStorage Plugin in IOAHCIFamily.kext. You can force trimming unused Blocks by booting in Single User Mode and do a: fsck -fy

I tried enabling trim with multibeast and rebooted but trim was still not enabled. I have a Crucial M4.

karacho said:
p8blr said:

That's an old article. Version 2 works just dandy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5453/trim ... n-released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back