Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so IGNORE me!
Hi there,
This is my first post here so please bear with me if something is missing or not be very accurate. Before posting my concerns I would like to thank all the people who contributed to this site that make parts and software legally purchased work.

ISSUE: After install my SSDs or
HDD shows 41GB in use.
Note 1: Time Machine: Off
Note 2: Installed OS X using 32GB
RAM memory
Note 3: Permission repair does not help

My build:
MB: GA-Z77X-UD5H (updated to BIOS F14)
CPU: I7 3770
MEM; G.Skill Ripjaws DD31600 32Gb (4x8Gb)
SSD: OCZ VERTEX 4 128Gb (1st try)
SSD: Kingston HYTEREX 120Gb (2nd try)
HDD: Seagate 1TB formatted to 2 partitions 500Gb each (3rd try)
ML 10.8.2 from Apple store

BIOS settings:
BIOS update to F14 (after update hit F7 to load optimal settings otherwise your USB2.0 internal connectors may not work)

VT-d: Disabled (only for 10.8.2 update)
Peripherals
xHCI: Auto
XHCI Hand-Off: Enabled
EHCI Hand-Off: Enabled
Init Display First: IGFX
Marvell SATA Controller(s): Disabled
Power Management
High Precision Event Timer: Enabled
Wake on LAN: Disabled

Installation using UniBeast(using only –v) and MultiBeast went flawlessly(I would highly recommend this hardware setup).

Ordinary I would not bother to check OS installation size since using HDD of 1Tb+ few Gb more or less does not mater but on 128Gb SSD this is of a concern so I checked my ML10.8.2 installation size and it is 41Gb. Major KP in my head.

What is happening to have such high disk usage?
Is my installed 32Gb RAM memory in play here?
Or perhaps this is just normal and I am panicking without reason?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be willing to bet it's your hibernation image file. It will be the same size as your installed RAM, so that sounds about right, as a standard OS X install is typically less than 10 gigs. It can be deleted, but it will create a new one if your mac falls asleep.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/11/sleepimage-mac/

Also, I have a program called Omni Disk Sweeper that is helpful when trying to find where space is being taken up on a drive.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

Hi mucksavage,

Thx for the help and your guess was right. It is sleep file 34Gb in size that makes total installation so huge. At least I know now that nothing is broken or bad.

Hi mucksavage,

Thx for the help and your guess was right. It is sleep file 34Gb in size that makes total installation so huge. At least I know now that nothing is broken or bad.

Same here, same size as the installed RAM... Really good to know.... Thanks

I was able to reclaim lost SSD space due to sleepimage so now it is only 6.7Gb with 120Gb free.
Simple change to hibernatemode 3 to old mode 0 and deleting sleepimage file.
Hibernatemode 3 is for laptops that writes content of the memory to the sleepimage file and shut power to the memory modules to preserve battery.
Hibernatemode 0 does not shut power to the memory modules hence no sleepimage file needed.
This is what I did:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

To check hibernatemode:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QByRKadjnEE
Use symlinks to free up space on your SSD. This same thing can work for your sleepimage. Please note that this will increase the amount of time your fans stay on when you put your computer to sleep, because it has to write 32GB of data to the disk, but that shouldnt matter too much

Great information! I changed this and it made a huge difference, thanks! :clap:

I was able to reclaim lost SSD space due to sleepimage so now it is only 6.7Gb with 120Gb free.
Hibernatemode 3 is for laptops that writes content of the memory to the sleepimage file and shut power to the memory modules to preserve battery.
Hibernatemode 0 does not shut power to the memory modules hence no sleepimage file needed.
This is what I did:

To check hibernatemode:

This is what I did:

To check hibernatemode:

Works Great ! Thank You for your post of this.... Very Important and should get more "press"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back