Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
CPU
G530
Graphics
GT 210
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I have extensively searched this website for a guide on how to optimally set up SSD+HDD combo and I am kindly asking for an explanation I haven't found.

On Mavericks, I want to put user folders on HDD and use the SSD for OS, applications and User/Library. Fresh installation, no copying. Is it better to store the entire User/Library folder on SSD or just parts like Application Support? I understand that Library also contains caches and databases (Mail). I would select the home folder on HDD from System Preferences/Users/Advanced Options. Also, should I use symlinks or other ones to relink the User/Library?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

OK, I tested two setups and here are my results:

1. System installed on SSD, users on HDD through System Preferences > Users&Groups > Advanced settings, ~/Library symlinked to SSD.
This worked pretty well, no malfunctioning. But looking at disk activity on HDD, I found out that the OS was still accessing hidden folders on HDD a lot (although Library folder is physically on SSD). So I decided to try the second solution.

2. System and users installed on SSD, user home folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads...) symlinked to HDD.
This seems to be working slightly faster. However, there are two problems:
- it seems that upon system startup the SSD mounts faster than HDD and the OS fails to show files on desktop which are physically on HDD (they show up in finder window, though); in order to make the appear on desktop, I have to relaunch Finder; finally solved by putting Desktop folder back to SSD.
- all applications follow folders and symlinks without problems, except Safari, which cannot save a file to Downloads folder (probably because where it expects to find a folder there is a symlink - this is strange because the symlink is valid and other apps have no problems with it).

I am currently on 2nd solution. Please feel free to comment if you find that something is not good or should be changed or improved. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back