Z68-XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Alright after a lot of homework I think I am on to something.

1. My I7 16gb 6870 vertex ssd 750w power supply gold rated
Was locking up randomly playing diablo 3.

- others have the same issue across the net so chalked it up to that

2. Just yesterday I boot my system and it s the first I've gotten my first and only kernel panic.

- console log gave acpi error. System is on ahci and 64 bit and I have had zero issues
With this machine. Video card, CPU, mem test .. All checked out

Got me thinking.... Could my ssd ( which I know is junk out of box) be causing the lookups and that kernel panic? This would explain a hell of a lot and be great if this could be the case. But I don't want to be putting stock in this if it's not probable.

Up to this point these are the only issues. All other hardware at this point should be broken in enough to exclude.

which OCZ model? OCZ with Sandforce chipsets are known to cause crashes and bluescreens under Windows quite a bit. I would check to see if there's a firmware update and and also make sure you're connected to the Intel SATA controller instead of a JMicron or Marvell one on your motherboard.

Another thing to try is to move the drive to SATA2 instead of SATA3 and see if that helps stability.

Personally I would avoid OCZ drives going forward.

Thank you so much for that amazing post.

I believe it's the ocz vertex plus or the vertex 2 ( have to go look).

It's the model that had a very very large failure rate. Firmware is up to date but did not try moving ports either. I got the z68xp ud3 gigabyte.

I will absolutely try the sata 2 port and see if I have intel on there as well.

But for the record this is great news although it means a new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back