ATI 5770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello

I've heard that a SSD is worth it. But does it matter which one? There seem to be many different controllers. What else do I have to consider? Is it any different to install, partition etc? (I have a dualboot setup with OS X and ubuntu 10.10)

For an example: http://digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx ... kel=194602
...would be good to go?

Thanks in advance

Regards

So should I buy it or wait?

Since OS X does not yet (ever?) support TRIM, make sure you get a drive that supports Garbage Collection-- to help keep performance up.

A few thoughts:

1. The Vertex 2 has a reputation for speed, but the company just switched to 25nm NAND from 34nm (just like everyone else will probably do too, eventually) without changing the labels on their product. This has caused an uproar (See the OCZ forums) because the 25nm NAND has a shorter cycle-life. To balance this out, more space from the drive is set aside for over provisioning (you can't use it). Also, the number of IC used for each drive has halved on the smaller drives, meaning you get significantly lower performance.

In real terms:

60 GB drives show 55 GB BEFORE formatting.
Sustained write speeds have dropped, in some cases, to 37 MB/s some ppl are reporting.
*Go read the activity on the OCZ forums to check these figures

2. The Crucial C300 is a great drive for Windows, but not Macs. It relies on TRIM, so there's a good chance your performance will slow in OS X over time. Also, it's SATA 6.0 won't help you (at least now) since OS X will only support SATA II speeds over SATA 6.0 hardware for the time being.

3. IOPS, read vs write, compressible vs incompressible data. These are important terms to understand when trying to pick an SSD. Higher IOPS is better, and some drives, like the Vertex 2 claim 50K vs 10K for competitors; this should help with the typical kind of use a boot drive sees. The economical way to purchase right now is to buy an SSD for a boot drive and store media on HDD; this plays to SSD's strengths, which are quick reads as opposed to massive writes (shortens lifespan, degrades speed on most SSD, even with TRIM or GC). Sandforce based drives appear to have faster read/write speeds, but they compress data... so incompressible/compressed data is much slower to write. Another reason why using SSD for a boot drive make sense: you're dealing with at least partially compressible data, as opposed to compressed data like most media files.

Blah, blah, blah... sorry for brining all this up and rambling. But I wouldn't buy an SSD without reading up a bit-- particularly on OS X (because of the lack of TRIM).

Well, I just caught a deal on a G Skill Sniper, 60GB, on sale from newegg for $96 shipped... one day thing.

I called tech support, and they said that they're still use 34nm NAND. And it has peak IOPS of 50K, and GC-- using Sandforce controller.

I'll let you know how it works out.

The Crucial Real SSD C300 (mentioned above) is a common option. Didn't know about those issues with it though, good to know.

The Corsair Performance 3 Series drives (SATA III) have some great Read/Write Speeds, and from the Corsair Website:
(Source) Corsair Performance 3 Series SSDs offer more robust background garbage collection for consistent read and write speeds from day 1 to day 101.

If you want to wait a bit longer though, OCZ just launched a preview of their 3rd Generation Vertex Drives, which have SandForce and SATA III. If you're just going to use it as a Boot Drive. Haven't looked into if they'll use 25nm or 34nm on them.

It might be a bit stupid to get a SATA III SSD right now since OS X doesn't support it, but if you don't want to be upgrading your SSD anytime soon just for Bandwidth (whenever Apple decides to adopt SATA III), least you know you won't need to sweat about not having a SATA III compatible Drive.

Some have tried an OCZ RevoDrive (PCIe SSDs), non managed to Boot from it though. Might have had something to do with their Motherboard not being PCIe-SSD-Bootable though. Not sure. OCZ's RevoDrives (even the X2) use SandForce though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back