Graphics
GeForce9800GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm running OS X 10.7.2 w/ a 60 GB OCZ-Vertex 2 boot drive (with the primary user account linked to a 7200rpm 1 TB HDD via the method described at http://www.ransom-note-typography.com/index.php/SSD_and_Your_Home_Directory.

The drive only has about 26 GB worth of files on it so far as I can tell by assessing the size of each folder in /. However, Path Finder, Finder, and other OS X applications say that only 7 GB of the 59 GB are free. Where are the other 26 GB?

I used Disk Inventory X to visualize the files, and 26 GB is taken up by a grey block of 'other files,' but nothing approaching this size appears in any of the folders at the root level.

Anyone got an idea as to how to seek and destroy whatever's taking up half of my drive?

Thanks!

(sorry, I forgot, this is not on the box in my profile)

Here are the specs:

OS X 10.7.2
on
i7 2600K @ 3.41 GHz
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Geoforce 9800gt
16 GB G-Skill
60 GB OCZ Vertex-2 SSD (boot)
1 TB WD Caviar 7200rpm HDD (users)

Not sure how much command-line stuff you are familiar with, so I'll give a simple explanation here. Try this...

1) Open up the Mac Terminal application (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)

2) Type this: cd / (then press ENTER)

3) Now type this: df (then press ENTER)

Now read the output, and post it here if you can.

TB

Thanks much.

Sorry, I didn't mention that I had checked from the line as well and that the info is roughly the same as from a Finder/PathFinder window. Disk Inventory X, however, still reports ~23 gigs as 'other file type,' and won't show me where they live...

(I added the -h tag so that the numbers are more readily interpretable.)

d99-44:/ wem3$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk1s2 56Gi 48Gi 7.1Gi 88% /
devfs 192Ki 192Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
/dev/disk2s2 885Gi 281Gi 604Gi 32% /Users
map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
/dev/disk3s2 1.8Ti 1.4Ti 383Gi 80% /Volumes/Green
/dev/disk2s3 46Gi 6.8Gi 40Gi 15% /Volumes/taters

If I assess the size of each folder on /, I get:

/Applications (11.4 GB)
/bin (4.3 MB)
/Developer (1.2 GB)
/etc (4 K)
/Extra (15.1 MB)
/Library (1.5 GB)
\/opt (760.7 MB)
/private (1.2 GB)
/sbin (2.4 MB)
/System (2.8 GB)
/tmp (4 KB)
/usr (3.3 GB)
/var (4 KB)

Which adds up to around ~22 GB, right? I can't figure it out to save my life, but it's driving me nuts.

Please keep this thread updated if you don't mind. I have the same drive as you and out of nowhere I suddenly couldn't boot anymore (didn't make any changes to the system). From the windows side I checked in on the drive with MacDrive and the more and more I check, the less files that show up (ex. a directory lists 10 files, then later it'll only list half, and later half that, etc.)

I'm about to chalk it up to a dead drive. Hopefully it's not the same for you, but I figured I'd check in on this.

::sigh::

I suspected dead drive might be the answer. Bummer...

If anybody's got a fix, it sure would be rad.

wem3 said:
::sigh::

I suspected dead drive might be the answer. Bummer...

If anybody's got a fix, it sure would be rad.

I'm guessing dead drive from the sound of things...

I wonder if it has to do with cells dying, and the drive trying to route data/redundancy around those dead cells (or the drive THINKING there are dead cells). Wonder if a full wipe would help.

I have a different drive (GSkill Sniper) that arrived DOA about a year ago. Then, last month, I got all kinds of quirky behavior. Boot, work for a few minutes, total system freeze (no kernel panic). Sometimes showing in BIOS, sometimes not.

Kinda looks like the typical SSD firmware death situations that's been common in the first generation or two of these sorts of drives. Things get funky, and die quick. RMA'd it, and a replacement-- with another 3-year warranty-- is on the way.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back