Contribute
Register

SSD as Boot Drive Only and 1Tb HDD as Storage Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H, 1TB WD Green series, 120Gb Kingston Hyper X, 16GB G.Skill @1600Mhz
CPU
3570K i5 @ 3.8Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 OC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I just ordered a brand new 120Gb Kingston HyperX SSD, and I got a 1Tb WD Caviar Green from my friend. Can I set OS X to automatically install software to my HDD even if it is not my boot drive? I want to use my SSD just for the OS and certain software (Final Cut, CS5, iMovie, etc.). Thanks ahead for the help guys!

I don't know if it can be done with software, but you can do it with your User folder so that all new Downloads and Documents, etc, are on the 1TB. Look in Golden Threads for it.

On my Macs I usually will just do a regular install with a dummy user. Then create a new user that is my "Permanent" user. From there I will just create a symbolic link of that folder to my HDD. You can also get more tricky with it and not sym link your entire user but just certain folders. Things like Docs, Movies, Music, Photos you can sym link. Then leave Desktop and Library on the SSD. Reason being SSD will give that extra little boost if you are a messy desktop person such as me. As well as all your app settings are in the Library folder so your apps will load faster with that on the SSD.

With 120 GB you should be fine to have all your apps and little user data stuff on the SSD and then everything else on the HDD.

Either way the thing to remember is that anything you want off-loaded just create a symbolic link, but I would do what is listed above for best performance.

Mark

In Mac OS X, you install most apps by dragging the .app file into the Applications folder. Therefore, there's really no need to change the "default" installation location. Just drag your .app files into a folder on your storage hard drive instead of on your SSD.

For apps that actually give you an installation dialogue, you can always change the installation location. I'm not sure if there's a way to set a default location, though.

ReallyFantastic said:
In Mac OS X, you install most apps by dragging the .app file into the Applications folder. Therefore, there's really no need to change the "default" installation location. Just drag your .app files into a folder on your storage hard drive instead of on your SSD.

For apps that actually give you an installation dialogue, you can always change the installation location. I'm not sure if there's a way to set a default location, though.

You are correct most apps are self enclosed folders with all dependencies inside that folder and it can be run from any location on the Mac. The only reason most installers exists is because it needs to write a file in the system library folder to function and that requires admin privileges. Typically though again I usually leave my apps on the SSD just for the speed advantage. Unless you have a ton of games installed that folder won't grow very large.

Alright thank you guys for all your help. Ill give that a try when my SSD gets here. So all I really need to do is place the .app files I want into a folder that I can name "Applications" on my SSD? Sounds Great! Thanks! :D

so i was having the same problem.. i have a 500GB SSD and a 4TB HDD for my new build. i wanted to know how to get everything but my main boot i.e. important things off my SSD and onto my 4TB HD. after reading this.. correct me if i am wrong. i opened up both my SSD and HDD folder, dragged and dropped my User folder into the HDD and deleted it from my SSD, now making the 4TB HDD my primary storage area for my user an my SSD to carry out all other things just for the system, applications, and everything it needs to run?

I have wrote a very simple guide to moving the /Users folder. It's in my sig. After that everything will be in your HDD and leave your SSD free :thumbup:

ok i was wrong… when i moved the users folder to my HDD, it only made a folder containing its properties.. it didn't make it the new location of my actual users folder. the "MAIN" is still in the SSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back