Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte > Need full model > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full model > See Rules!
Graphics
RX 550
hey guys, so ive been researching ssd and have found they are well worth it. so ive decided to get one for my unbuilt hackintosh. but here is my only concern, ive seen many people with "guides" on how to get a ssd and a hdd working together on windows. but that is not what i want to do, obviously. Like most people, i want to have OSX, and some applications(i.e. Logic, itunes, ect) on the ssd and all the other files on the hdd. i know that A LOT of people do that. my question is, how would i go about it? thanks in advance for the feedback.

I'm a little unclear on what exactly your asking about SSDs, but I'll give you a typical setup. Install OSX on the SSD with the apps that you use constantly. Clone this installation to a hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Copy all of your big files, videos, and apps that you dont' use so much to the hard drive. Both will be bootable, but you will normally boot from the SSD to enjoy its fast boot time.

@3tuxedo

Most software allows you to choose the drive where you wish to install your software. It is in customize or option on the install screen. Some software can simply be copied to the second drive and will work fine.
I have a folder on a second drive called applications 2. This drive is also a SATA3 drive as is my 60GB SSD drive which is the boot drive.
You can also copy your iTunes and iPhoto libraries on the second drive. Then start iTunes and iPhoto with the option key pressed. You will get a screen asking if you want to create or open another library. Choose Open and select the folder on your storage drive the first time after moving and they will open with that library until you manually change it.
I have a Screen Saver/Desktop folder with around 3500 pictures in it on my second drive.
I do leave the Pictures folder and the Music folder on the startup drive and delete the contents.
I leave the Apple software that loads when the OS is installed for Software update by Apple. I also have my Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office on my SSD
Clone or backup your drive before changing and start all programs from the 2nd drive before removing from the primary. :wave:

OldFred said:
I'm a little unclear on what exactly your asking about SSDs

sorry about that, i shouldve made myself more clear. i was just wondering if it was difficult to get that setup up and running. how do you make sure everything, other than the OS and a few apps, get saved on the HDD?

Initially you put the data on the hard drive. Then set up your apps to save their data to the hard drive. Word, for instance, lets you specify where you want to save files. In Photoshop, you choose each time where to save. Each app has it's own way.

flatfoot said:

I followed this method: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/alternatives-for-separating-os-x-users.html
Option 1: Using System Preferences|Accounts
Right-click on a user's icon, select 'Advanced', and change the user's "Home Directory".
Nice and easy... But we have to do it for each user (and when we add new users, we have to remember to do it again).
Worse yet, some applications insist on looking for the user's home directory under /Users...

I found this to be incredibly straight forward, and thus far I have not run into any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back