CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It looks like my dream to build the ultimate Hackintosh isn't totally busted, but I can only get a measily 80GB of memory installed, rather than the 96GB I was hoping for, but that's beside the point.

On the EVGA SR-2, no matter how I configure it, as long as there is ANY type of memory in the last dimm socket on CPU1, OSX hangs during boot. I even had 24 GB total (3 x 4GB on each CPU) but as long as that blasted dimm slot is populated, OSX hangs. I'm at the stage where I really don't care how much memory I have in the blasted rig, I'd like to know why or what is causing the problem with OSX. I'm guessing purhaps it's the memory manager within OSX, because I can install with it populated, but any boots after that is a no go, and that's in 10.6.x as well as 10.7.X. Plus I get a memory manager prompt when intalling the extra dimms. I don't know if 10.8 will make a difference.

If there is ANYONE that has built a hackintosh with the SR-2, could you please enlighten me on how you did it, and if you had any memory issues.

It looks like my dream to build the ultimate Hackintosh isn't totally busted, but I can only get a measily 80GB of memory installed, rather than the 96GB I was hoping for, but that's beside the point.

On the EVGA SR-2, no matter how I configure it, as long as there is ANY type of memory in the last dimm socket on CPU1, OSX hangs during boot. I even had 24 GB total (3 x 4GB on each CPU) but as long as that blasted dimm slot is populated, OSX hangs. I'm at the stage where I really don't care how much memory I have in the blasted rig, I'd like to know why or what is causing the problem with OSX. I'm guessing purhaps it's the memory manager within OSX, because I can install with it populated, but any boots after that is a no go, and that's in 10.6.x as well as 10.7.X. Plus I get a memory manager prompt when intalling the extra dimms. I don't know if 10.8 will make a difference.

If there is ANYONE that has built a hackintosh with the SR-2, could you please enlighten me on how you did it, and if you had any memory issues.

Actually it looks like this might be your problem.
Memory

12 x 240-pin DIMM sockets

Maximum of 48GB of DDR3 1333MHz+

This thread does indicate that it is possible, but people have also clearly had issues with more.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1189988

Try setting it up under windows. You can download the win 8 preview for free still I think. If not, I'd try a Linux install. Installing an alternate OS should let let you know if it is an OSX issue.

However, this sounds like it is a bad memory slot to me.

According to this, a current Macpro should be able take up to 128gb. So I wouldn't think it should be an OSX limitation.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1333-memory

Did you buy the memory off of the compatibility list? Some boards are very fussy about memory. Check the manual as well, it might have some limitations as to what memory you can put in what slots.

Does the problem occur if you only put memory in all three of the slots or does it happen if you put sticks in that third slot and just one other of the 3 slots?

I actually had a successful install of Windows 7 Pro, and all the memory is visible. I also checked the memory, and no errors or problems found.

I first instinct was that it was the slot as well, but then I thought if it was, the memory in the slot would not be visible under Windows 7, as well as the BIOS.

My guess it has something to do with OSX, because I can go through the install and initial setup with the slot populated, but the first time I attempt to boot into OSX, it continues to hang. I tried booting into safe mode, but it hangs as well though in a different manner (the progress bar just continues to spin in safe mode vs. stopping and hanging under regular booting conditions. I usually get the memory configuration prompt/error the first time I add more memory, but then it never happens again. What's even more strange is that the memory configuration tool not showing all the memory (I'll have 10 sticks, but it'll only show 6), though the system is identifying all 10.

The memory is not one of the recommend by EVGA (they don't have any 8 GB sticks) but the strange thing is that I do have the recommended memory, and have tried using it, with the same results.

I even went so far as to buy another mobo, just to prove to myself it wasn't the slot (I know, a little extreme) but I at least found out it wasn't the slot (or just something that is common on all SR-2 boards.

And it only happens if that one particular slot is populated (no matter what memory is installed).

Very, very strange indeed.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I actually had a successful install of Windows 7 Pro, and all the memory is visible. I also checked the memory, and no errors or problems found.

I first instinct was that it was the slot as well, but then I thought if it was, the memory in the slot would not be visible under Windows 7, as well as the BIOS.

My guess it has something to do with OSX, because I can go through the install and initial setup with the slot populated, but the first time I attempt to boot into OSX, it continues to hang. I tried booting into safe mode, but it hangs as well though in a different manner (the progress bar just continues to spin in safe mode vs. stopping and hanging under regular booting conditions. I usually get the memory configuration prompt/error the first time I add more memory, but then it never happens again. What's even more strange is that the memory configuration tool not showing all the memory (I'll have 10 sticks, but it'll only show 6), though the system is identifying all 10.

The memory is not one of the recommend by EVGA (they don't have any 8 GB sticks) but the strange thing is that I do have the recommended memory, and have tried using it, with the same results.

I even went so far as to buy another mobo, just to prove to myself it wasn't the slot (I know, a little extreme) but I at least found out it wasn't the slot (or just something that is common on all SR-2 boards.

And it only happens if that one particular slot is populated (no matter what memory is installed).

Very, very strange indeed.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Memory for a socket 1366 should be installed in groups of 3. Why are you putting in 10?

Can you tell us what it says when it hangs if you boot verbose? It's possible that there is some other issue behind it. The fact that you can install OSX, does tend to indicate it's some sort of a configuration issue rather than an inherent problem. If it was you would most likely be unable to install it in the first place.

After you've installed it, can you force it to boot using the installer USB stick and then switch to the HDD installation when you get to the stage where you can select your boot drive under chameleon/chimera.

I just built an SR-2 system with 48gb of Kingston HyperX. All slots are filled with 4gb sticks. I had a brief issue with OSX not seeing every stick but i think it was because I had fiddled with the hardware when cleaning up the wiring and one of the brackets wasn't fully seated.

NO issues since then though.

I'm wondering if it's the memory itself (not being compatible with OSX). I've heard stories over the years from friends with Macs that they've had issues with memory causing problems if it wasn't the right kind - even when ordering directly from Apple.

What kind of Kingston HyperX did you buy if you don't mind me asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back