Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
CPU
G530
Graphics
GT 210
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
[SOLVED] Spotlight in 10.9.1 behaving again...

Hello everyone,

Spotlight in 10.9 was giving me a hard time because it was reindexing all over again and all the time. None of the remedies suggested on Mac discussion groups have helped, so I added drives to the Privacy list and, basically, turned the Spotlight off because there was nothing left to index.
After installing the 10.9.1 update, Spotlight began functioning normally, but only for a week or so. Yesterday, it began the same indexing restart loop as with previous OS version. I have made absolutely no changes to the system since.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I solved the problem. On many Apple discussion groups, general advice for solving the Spotlight issue is to add the hard drive to the Privacy list. This will delete the Spotlight index. After restarting, the drive should be deleted from the Privacy window and indexing should restart in a proper way. This didn't work for me but something similar did:

First add the entire drive to the Privacy list, followed by individual folders, one by one:
Applications
Extra
Library
System
Users
(and any other you might have in the root of your HD)
Restart the computer and then delete first the HD and then the folders from the Privacy window, again one by one.
Not sure why this works but it does. Hope this may help some of you.

ThanksWillistuder! Your method worked fine for me! I'm still in 10.9.0 and Spotlight was indexing all the time. Now the bug is gone :)

Regards
m4rkus95

The dreaded Spotlight bug is back with 10.9.2 update but the fix doesn't work this time.
Does anyone have a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back