Contribute
Register

Spec the Mac Pro 2013: What Will the Hardware Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I feel like Apple just comes out with these new Macs so they can support more hardware in the Hackintosh world LOL >:) obviously not the case but I still something to think about

With the new Mac Pro we'll be getting support for the HD 7xxx series (well technically that's with 10.8.3) and other nice things maybe 802.11ac support?

As for the actual Mac Pro, to the general public.... ehhhhhhh I don't think it will affect me so much.

I suspect that there will be a major case redesign. The hard drives will use a backplane akin to what rack mount servers use. Why not go all the way and offer hot swap bays on the front?

Even with the current drive bay configuration, all that's necessary to support 8 drives is to add another row above the current configuration and extend that backplane. It'd increase the system height under the current schema by ~1.5" (~ 3.8 cm) and that's assuming they keep both optical bays.

Same here :) AMD graphics are good enough for what I need and the only reason I haven't upgraded is because of lack of OSX support (there's beta drivers but I'd rather just wait for official release)

Would be nice if there was a cheaper Mac Pro.

That's what Hackintoshes are for. Cheaper yet faster.

On topic I hope the "skus" have something like the GTX670+ and for another Model the 7xxx series.

Reason being? Hackintosh hardware support to the max.

I don't know what to expect, Apple has been disappointing on the Mac Pro's for some time now and some rumors are that this line will be discontinued...

I just don't get it that there should be doubt on the Thunderbolt functionality inside Mac Pro's. Mac Pro's are very well represented in my industry (video postproduction) and for smaller production houses the Thunderbolt Pegasus raid-setups are a welcome feature. The thing is I don't want to be restricted to keep editing on a iMac. If they want TB to become a success they should put some more effort into applying it into the Mac Pro, or else they might as well remove the Pro.

Luckily I already found some posts here on people that has successfully implemented TB functionality with their Hackintoshes.

If they discontinue Mac Pro's then i'm leaving the OS X world. Honestly ever since 2011-2013 Apple are focusing on "Mobility" aka laptops and ios integration. I fear this is turning into windows 8 (However I still love windows 8).

That's what Hackintoshes are for. Cheaper yet faster.

On topic I hope the "skus" have something like the GTX670+ and for another Model the 7xxx series.

Reason being? Hackintosh hardware support to the max.

There is some merit to having 'official' support. Hackintoshes are a hack. Don't expect any professional level company to help trouble shooting when in order you have to hack the OS to initially run. Anything goes wrong and they'll point the finger at a hackintosh and drop support. A real Mac will be supported by software companies.

A hackintosh is great for home use, something that you can spend several hours tinkering with when something goes wrong due to a software update.

I do think Apple goofed when they kept the Mac Mini name for 2010 case redesign. I would have called the redesigned system the "Mac Micro" or "Mac Nano". This would have left open the oppertunity to release a system larger than the older Mac Mini while still carrying the Mac Mini name. Adding support for an 8" long, double wide graphics card is all that'd be needed for a machine that'd fit in between the current Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back