Contribute
Register

Sound assertion in AppleHDAController errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never even noticed that option; and if I had, I would have thought it wasn't for me, since my motherboard technically has 6 audio ports; 3 analog and an optical out on the back and 2 analog on the front. I'll do a backup and give it a try.

From what I have read those ports are for 5.1(windows) and I don't think OSX supports it. There are other programs that do like Plex and maybe VLC now that work on OSX.

Each selection in System Preferences/Sound/Outputs is associated with an audio port.

For Audio ID: 1
Internal Speakers: Green motherboard port
Line Out: Orange motherboard port
Line Out: Black motherboard port
Digital Out: SPDIF motherboard port

If a headphone is plugged in:
Headphones: Green front panel port (replaces Internal Speakers selection)

For Audio ID:3
Same as Audio ID: 1 except Line Out/Orange is not available.

For more info: Optimized_ML_AppleHDA_audio_screenshots.pdf

OK, then mine is working correctly. Any ideas about the assertion messages in the system log?

From what I have read those ports are for 5.1(windows) and I don't think OSX supports it. There are other programs that do like Plex and maybe VLC now that work on OSX.
3 port audio means 3 analog audio ports on the motherboard, same for 5 and 6 port audio. With the Optimized AppleHDA in OS X, Audio ID: 2 repurposes the 3 motherboard ports from 2 audio inputs and 1 audio output to 3 audio outputs enabling 5.1 analog audio, same as Windows.

Would attaching my ioreg help? It doesn't tell me a damn thing, but maybe you can take a look at it if you have time?

EDIT: I didn't see the note in the IOReg Guide about version 3.0 being broken, that's why the first one I posted was corrupt. Here's one made with the 2.1 version of IORegistryExplorer.

Attachments

• nobodynose.zip
    567 KB · Views: 38
OK, I did a little more digging, and found a thread suggesting that switching to a MacPro3,1 sysdef (from Macmini5,1) might get rid of the assertion errors, because the MacPro3,1 is the only model that doesn't cut power to the amplifier when there's no sound being produced. Well, that turned out to be absolutely correct - the assertion errors went away. I don't even remember why I changed my sysdef to Macmini5,1 in the first place.

However, now I'm getting a different pair of messages in the console every time my system makes a sound:

Code:
6/9/13 3:43:37.504 PM coreaudiod[152]: Disabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is active
6/9/13 3:43:37.589 PM coreaudiod[152]: Enabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is inactive

Any idea what this might mean?

EDIT: I did a little more research on this and found out this is something new introduced in 10.8.4. It seems to be harmless, from what I gather. Here are a couple of links on the subject:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...d-automatic-stack-shots-because-audio-io-is-i
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5083953?start=0&tstart=0

Any idea what this might mean?
IOReg is corrupt. The stack shots looks like a diagnostic tool a developer enabled logging and forgot to disable before submitting. Unlikely related to your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back