Contribute
Register

SOS! | Videos Won't Play in Safari | iTunes | Mac App Store | Facebook, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used to have it all sorted out in Sierra, but since the Mojave upgrade, the issues have recurred. I've got both Lilu and Whatevergreen in the 'other' directory. IGP is enabled, mirroring is present under Display in Settings, IQSV works, VDADecoderChecker reports full hardware acceleration support. May you folks please illuminate me as to what could be causing this?

P.S. Trying to play a video on Twitter or a film trailer in iTunes freezes the system to the point it doesn't even respond to the reset button...

Last edited:
Not certain if you've figured this out, but I believe I have.

My prior configuration used an NVIDIA card, which of course has essentially been abandoned by Apple (and presumably NVIDIA too), so I upgraded to an RX580 and every once in a while could not play any videos in Safari and other apps (just as you describe in your subject).

My solution was to install Whatevergreen.kext (along with upgrading Lilu.kext to the latest version). I installed using KextBeast, and selected /Library/Extensions as the destination (and NOT the "other" Clover EFI partition). I did nothing else.

I was drawn to this solution by reading the Whatevergreen.kext reference, and learned it's useful for AMD Radeon graphics cards.

So far, so good. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back