Contribute
Register

SOS - Super Noob Needs Assistance Accessing App Store & Maintaining Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - x79, EVGA 3X SLI Classified E760 - x58, SM X9SAE-z77, Gigabyte z87-ud3h
CPU
Core i7-3960X, Xeon E3-1275 v2, Core i7-920, Core i7-4770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified; EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper, EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2; HD4000, HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings All,

Yes, ultimate, not so noob, noob here. Okay. I know everyone's excited about Haswell, but I'm trying to revive a Nehalem build.

Motherboard: EVGA 3x Classified E760
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3 x 2GB @ 1600MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX580 Hydro Copper 2
SSD: 120GB Intel 520
Monitor: Samsung T260HD, 1920 x 1200 connected via HDMI. (It's kind of old, and I can't remember exactly why I bought this monitor at the time, but I've gotten some good mileage out of it).

Swapped out iBoot 3.3 with retail Snow Leopard. Installs beautifully. Ethernet, audio working. Max resolution 1600 x 1200, but I can deal with that for now.

The problems start when I perform the 10.6.8 combo update. I'm able to boot from the SSD, and I can even get online thanks to Hnak (pardon me if I misspelled your name), but I haven't been able to correct the audio issue.

I considered staying with 10.6.3 just for the audio, until I remembered - I can't access the App Store.

Can anyone assist, please?

Sincerely,

Never2L8

Oops, my mistake. It was Lnx2Mac's Ethernet driver.

I found the link to update to 10.6.6. I figured I'd bump it up incrementally.

Ethernet is working. Audio is not. I'm going to try download something from the App Store to see if I can ... brb ... real-time here ... I can reach the app store, but, well, it doesn't look like I'm able to log on with my Apple ID. I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps I needed to repair permissions after rebooting, post Ethernet install.

Feel free to chime in. If not, it's not a problem. This is a good way to keep a log for myself.

Until next time.

Rebooted. Used "Graphics Mode"="1920x1200x59" ... I'm able to boot to the hard drive, but my resolution seems to be maxed out @ 1600x1200.

I'm am running @ x16, so that's good, and the full amount of VRAM is showing up ... also good.

Will attempt to log onto App Store ... Success!!!

I'm going to download xcode. Why, I can't remember, I just remember coming across it ... I'm so confused ;o).

Have no idea how I did it, but I managed to update to 10.6.8 - Ethernet and, drumroll please, audio working. I'll try to retrace my steps just in case it's my turn to give back to the community.

I'm still stuck at 1600x1200 max, but it doesn't look to bad. I can just imagine how sharp my picture will look once I figure out (or get some help figuring out - hint, hint, hint) how to.

I think that'll be all for tonight.

Enjoy the Super Bowl.

Go Broncos ... ho ho ho - I'm a Dolphins fan, but because Marino was such a great QB, I gotta have respect for what Peyton Manning has accomplished this season, so I hope he wins.

Later all.

Lol - Now I'm @ 1280x1024 res ... I'm off to scour the graphics, post installation threads for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back