Contribute
Register

Sorting Out the Real Hardware Specs of the New 2013 Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
at first glance the pro annoyed me.

but the more I dig the more I love. STILL it is a bit ugly. Square is always more aesthetic than circle.. it might be a gimick but thermal design seems to be at play.

You do have to hand it to the engineers to come up with that much power in such a small form.

Think about the size and cooling of just a single 7970.. now imagine x2 in a small tube. (i suspect really a 7990 style fire pro both gpu on one curved pcb.

I hope that themal design was the priority... they usually practice that.. pro machines need to last after all

the most interesting thing is crossfire.

I only expect dual gpu support on a software compute/display basis not full crossfire support that translate to open gl games... we can wish tho cant we..?

Personally Im having a really bad experience with my gtx 670.. im on my third.. I get a horrible frame stuttering.. like images just freeze up and jerk.. its terrible. games are unplayable. even video playback has this issue.. (including windows 7)

Im 99% sure its a design flaw... otherwise the issue would have been resolved with drivers by now... maybe pci3.0 related.. idk. but I know iM not the only one..

anyway Im DEFINITELY considering selling and getting a 7970.. tahiti is the chip used in the w9000 fire pros... so Safe to expect the same support from apple and software?

hehe anyone interested in doing a right out trade (new in box refurbished ) gtx 670 for 7970 pm me

what do you think =
http://www.nordichardware.com/Motherboards/asus-zeus-x79-motherboard-with-dual-hd7900-gpus.html

dual thunderbolt 10 gb/S but LGA2011.....

for the GPU i think we are going the wrong way... we are thinking twin pcie card with a special form factor, but it may be just because we have to think out of the box :
they could perfectly had a special version of firepro mobile GPU made for them because by essence mobile GPU are ment to be soldered on MoBo not on PCIE hba's. .... therefore it make more sense that it is not a special form factor Pcie GPU card built by AMD, but a twin GPU of a notebook on steroid, apple building a 3 parts Mobo .

if you think at the actual Mac Pro it is already a two piece MoBo : one mobo and a daughter board for CPU and memory...

now they are doing a three piece Mobo =

1 with CPU and memory and chipset...
2 with Graphic cards and SSD stick.

it's pretty clever actually industrial -wise

one box - "x" iterations of CPU variant, "x" iterations of GPU+ssd combo, and one very low qualification worker could take a core, plug and screw the 3 diferent card on it, and "voila" a new customised Mac Pro .....

and like this people stop going to buy gaming GPU , upgraded xeons, and SATA ssd to upgrade 6 year old machines.....

the only thing i can't explain is PCI lane repartition on the new trash pro.

the two CPU cant be on anything else than an individual 16x Pcie 3.0 bus for each card... so that is already 32 lci lane.
the SSD HAVE to be on at least an individual 4x Pcie 3.0 bus for each card... so that is 8 more lane...

TB 2.0 is suposed to be 8X Pcie so with 6 port we are talking about 6x8 : 48 Pcie lanes....

where the hell they get 88 pcie lanes from a processor that only have 40 lanes....

even with two CPU they would be 8 lanes short....

I think the realm is that like on a GA Z77UP-5TH, if you connect anything on a TB port, you bring back one of the slot down of 4 lanes,
because the CPU has only 16 lane ....
so yes the new trash pro is pretty fast when nothing is connected via TB, but let's be factual :

a video editor rig :
One red rocket in a TB enclosure....
a couple of Promise 18Tb on TB
a san link fiberchanel adapter on TB to the company network

now you have to share your 40 lanes with device asking 24 pcie lane. EXACTLY LIKE A "OLD" MAC PRO except that you dont have CUDA support and only 4 memory slot. but on the other hand you have thunderbolt....

as soon as PC maker will do Twin LGA 2011 MoBo with thunderbolt support, 80 Pcie 3.0 lanes, 16 memory slot..... we will have the new Mac Pro...

i can't wait to have dual 12 core xeon E5-2600, 256 Gb of ram and 2 titan at full boost.... that machin will roughly cost the price of a trash pro and will make it look like a gameboy power wise.....

for now i stick with my I7 and my GA Z77UP-5TH

I think that link simply references a VR-Zone article posted about a year ago:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-zeus-combines-x79-hedt-with-dual-gpu/16152.html

The Asus Zeus X79 board was simply a none functional proof of concept board that showed off the design prowess Asus had in-house. Not too long after this we started to hear about the Asus "TB_Header" to be implemented on Asus Z77 boards for use with the then upcoming Asus ThunderboltEX PCIe add in card. The Asus ThunderboltEX was supposed to ship at or near the release of the Ivy Bridge / LGA1155 platform but never made it to retail presumably because Intel denied it certification.

Asus also planned to bring Intel Thunderbolt to its line of AMD motherboards again via the Asus ThunderboltEX add-in card in conjunction with the proprietary "TB_Header" on said Asus AMD motherboards.

http://www.techpowerup.com/167370/asus-to-give-amd-am3-platform-thunderbolt-support.html

This failed to happen again likely due to Intel intervention and an agenda or spec requiring an Intel video subsystem / iGPU in a Thunderbolt implementation (as well as a specific application of Intel video via DisplayPort). Oddly enough, many new Asus Z87 motherboards still have the "TB_Header", even though the Asus ThunderboltEX card is still MIA.

Basically, if we haven't seen Thunderbolt on X79 from its initial release until now,…….why would we ever,…..?

because until now you could not build a THUNDERBOLT machine without an integrated GPU from intel. and no LGA 2001 CPU had one.

the new trash pro shows that it is indeed possible to do so and even better it is possible to do it with a LGA 2011 socket....

is Intel going to allow this or not, this is another question.... they may have accepted to do so for apple and keep it only for them for one year like they did originally ......

but lets face it,

before long, if gigabyte is not stupid, they would know that 99% of their TB MoBo are sold to customac builder, therefore they know that a lot of pro "mac" user are disappointed with the trash pro, and they also know that once they have messed around once with a customac, they will very unlikely pay 4500$ for something they could built by their own...

honestly for pro user money is a little less of a concern that for enthusiast...

I wouldn't mind paying 500$ to 700$ for a MoBo with 4 TB port and dual LGA 2011 : that would be my dream MackPro.

and once again if dual gpu get supported on mac with AMD, nvidia cant just resume.... believe me SLI is not very far.

once again a MackPro with dual E5-2600 V2 12 core , 256 GB of Ram , 8 x samsung 840 PRO SSD on a Areca raid card, and dual Titan in SLI, would smoke the maxed out new MacPro.... and for the same or just a little bit more money.

Attachments

• t3.png
    t3.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 327
because until now you could not build a THUNDERBOLT machine without an integrated GPU from intel. and no LGA 2001 CPU had one.

the new trash pro shows that it is indeed possible to do so and even better it is possible to do it with a LGA 2011 socket....

is Intel going to allow this or not, this is another question.... they may have accepted to do so for apple and keep it only for them for one year like they did originally ......

but lets face it,

before long, if gigabyte is not stupid, they would know that 99% of their TB MoBo are sold to customac builder, therefore they know that a lot of pro "mac" user are disappointed with the trash pro, and they also know that once they have messed around once with a customac, they will very unlikely pay 4500$ for something they could built by their own...

honestly for pro user money is a little less of a concern that for enthusiast...

I wouldn't mind paying 500$ to 700$ for a MoBo with 4 TB port and dual LGA 2011 : that would be my dream MackPro.

and once again if dual gpu get supported on mac with AMD, nvidia cant just resume.... believe me SLI is not very far.

once again a MackPro with dual E5-2600 V2 12 core , 256 GB of Ram , 8 x samsung 840 PRO SSD on a Areca raid card, and dual Titan in SLI, would smoke the maxed out new MacPro.... and for the same or just a little bit more money.

As far as I've been able to tell based on what I've read so far there is no definitive information available on exactly what processor / platform the new Mac Pro is based on. If its LGA2011 then great (works for me) but I see no evidence of that yet.

Intel can certainly let up on restrictions they have imposed in the past with respect to Thunderbolt and Intel iGPU. If they do then great (works for me) but again I see no evidence of this yet. It's not an issue of what is technically possible since its fairly clear that Thunderbolt could work without an Intel iGPU.

Haswell presumably already has the triple 4k support via iGPU touted by Apple with respect to the Mac Pro:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...hange-how-you-feel-about-integrated-graphics/

Even at this late date I've seen no leaks suggesting Intel Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 was coming with Ivy Bridge-E or an iGPU on LGA2011. Even among the interesting leaks of Haswell-E LGA2011-3,.....

It's a wait and see kind of thing,.....

I'm waiting but I haven't quite seen anything yet.

xeon E3 could be on 1350 socket but i dont see why intel would do a separate socket for xeon E5 on mac .
the only 12 core that is announced with EEC memory is E5-26XX V2 and that is a socket 2011...
all the Mac Pro with intel CPU as alway had a "server" socket, i don't think they have a way to do it with a 16 lane Pcie "consumer" socket.
there is now way that they are having a special socket just for them.

If the trash pro use a 12 core xeon, it would be the E5-26xx V2 and that is socket 2011.
the adoption curve of thunderbolt is still very slow so if they want to boost that standard, they better be a little bit more flexible on the TB certification.

I hope they fit the HDD inside! I believe there might be just enough room for it, but there must also be a PSU ... here's the mock-up I made:

Attachments

• MacProBreakdown.jpg
    MacProBreakdown.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 980
In regards to the GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 - what do you think the chances of the new Ivy Bridge -E cores working in this main board?

Read some articles say it will support x79 and some say it won't.

It looks like mac pro page says it will use ECC memory. Above board supports non ECC memory. Further latest LGA 2011 board GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI support ECC memory and have the Intel® C606 Express Chipset : (

Hoping I can use the current board GA-X79-UD5 for the next gen core - hack pro?

What are your thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

I think the graphics cards are just W9000 6gb workstation class cards (very expensive). Apple probably contracted a board maker to lay it out and use a pci-e connector on the end.

They've truly taken the macpro and made it something only a professional would buy..e.g..the prosumer/gamer that doesn't fit inside the imac is now truly out in the cold. Crossfire still requires drivers and I hope apple brings that to the table rather than just a few API's that some apps take advantage of if they are updated. I'm not holding my breath.

I think it will fail hugely unless there is something about it we don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back