Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
We've seen a large number of owners of newer Vaio laptops trying to install OSX without much success lately. The configuration of these laptops and the finer design makes them excellent potential Macbook Pro stand-ins for a lot less than the Apple versions.

Here's what I propose -
I can't get my hands on a Vaio laptop locally so if one of the owners would be willing, I'd pay to Fed Ex your laptop here for a few days to give me a chance to work out a system to get OSX running on them. I'll exchange my full real world contact details and everything and bring tonymac into the loop so you feel somewhat secure about the arrangement.

If I needed a laptop I'd be willing to go buy one and return it if I failed but I have several already including a newish Macbook. I know I can get this to work if I could go hands on with one.

If anyone with one of these is in the Houston area we could handle this face to face - I do service computers and electronics for a select group of family and online "friends". I will also provide the owner with a signed document acknowledging that I have their laptop on loan and agree to return it or be responsible for it's cost, etc.

There is some interesting work on hacking the Sony Bios going on right now:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=473226

They have been able to get the "advanced" Bios menu to show in Z and some other models of Vaio Laptops. Apparently Sony has a "debug bios mode" which so far is not something that can be set other than flashing the Bios with one already enabled or hacking the existing bios and enabling the register bit.

These guys aren't even a month into this and already they've found a ton of advanced Bios options, yes AHCI mode and HPET are there but they've also found all kinds of overclocking functions as well.

Anyway, if you have coding abilities and are willing to try the link has all the info and tools needed. DONT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT "SKILLED" in such things. If you brick your laptop I'm not going to be responsible.

would be awesome if someone lent him their sony, i want to buy a sony F series but im holding out in case OS X doesnt work on it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back