Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
macos-sonoma-454431057.jpeg

This guide is intended only for the 9020 USFF or the 7020/9020 Small Form Factor (SFF) and the 7020/9020 Mini-Tower (MT) Dell Optiplex models that utilize an Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU with HD4600 graphics.

IMPORTANT: This is not a complete installation guide. Please see the full instructions for preparing your Dell Optiplex for the macOS install.

** WARNING: macOS Sonoma 14.4 **

Do not use Sonoma 14.4 with this guide.

If you plan to install the Sonoma 14.4, please make a full bootable backup first. This version of macOS has been very troublesome. I would avoid it until the OpenCore app and Legacy Patcher gets updated to address these new problems. See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7020-9020-desktops.328900/page-2#post-2399119

We are going back to using an iMac SMBIOS as we did in the original OptiMac Golden build. This time it will be iMac1,1 instead of iMac15,1. So we've got a good reason to call these Optiplex (Opti) + iMac (Mac) OptiMacs once again.

Only use this guide if you must have a Sonoma install on your 4th gen Haswell based Dell Optiplex. One example would be for using the latest version of Xcode to create new apps. You may need a newer version of iMovie for editing videos etc.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 2.38.23 PM.png

If you can do everything you need to with Monterey, stay with that until security update support is fully dropped. Monterey natively supports this Haswell hardware and (Macmini7,1) works flawlessly. With Sonoma there are some compromises that must be made.

1. The integrated graphics performace when using iMac1,1 with HD4600 is not as smooth as it is with Macmini7,1.
2. You'll lower security settings and do extra work to get Wifi/BT to function properly.
3. CPU power management will not be as fine tuned as with Monterey.

The HD4600 graphics will work alone (with root patching), no AMD dGPU is required. This guide is a very good fit for the Dell USFF models that have no dGPU option. You can use one as a Media Center type hackintosh connected to a big screen TV. Just add in a 4K Ivanky DP to HDMi adapter.

Required Software

OCLP: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases
OCAT: https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools/releases/tag/20240001
EFI Agent: https://github.com/benbaker76/EFI-Agent/releases

Sonoma 14.3.1 Full Installer (12.5 GB)

If you buy a quad core Dell 9020 USFF with 16GB of ram and a 512GB SSD, you've got what you'll need for a home media center hackintosh running Sonoma. For a modest amount of money. Upgrades not needed and in post #2 of this thread you've got a complete how to guide for the install.

This is a good deal at Newegg if you will replace the Sata SSD with one of your own.

If you want a quad core i7 that is faster and has the maximum of 32 GB of ram, then see the following on Amazon. Would work well for video and audio work. Cost is just over 200 USD.

Last edited:
Sonoma 14.3 Install Guide for the Dell Optiplex 7020 or 9020 Desktops

IMPORTANT: Have a full bootable back up prepared from your previous macOS install on your Dell OptiMac. The simplest solution is to disconnect your existing macOS drive and install Sonoma to a new blank SSD. That protects all your data and your current install of macOS if you decide that Sonoma is not for you.

This guide is written as a "Clean Install" for use with Intel HD4600 graphics. If you have an AMD dGPU you'll want to uninstall it by the time you reach Step 2. It can be added back in later, post install. I use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS in this guide. It may be a better fit to use iMac19,1 if you plan on using both a dGPU and the HD4600 together. Adjust the guide accordingly. Make sure your USB ports kext is changed to the matching SMBIOS of iMac19,1 if you go with that.

iMacPro1,1 works well when using only HD4600 graphics exclusively. Best of all it enables DRM for streaming services like Apple TV+ Amazon Prime and Netflix. The only way I know of when using an Intel iGPU as primary graphics.

If you don't want HD4600 patches at all and will disable your iGPU, then this guide won't work for you. It will require a modified install guide. I don't plan on posting that. You should be able to figure that one out on your own.

Step 0. Make sure that BIOS is up to date and all required hidden and visible BIOS/UEFI settings are changed.

See guides:
BIOS Flash and Initial Setup for your Dell Optiplex
Changing the Dell OptiPlex 7020/9020 Hidden BIOS/UEFI Settings

Step 1. Create your Sonoma USB installer. Follow the standard tonymacx86 guide that uses Terminal. Best to use a 32 GB USB flash drive. Two of my 16 GB drives were not big enough to fit Sonoma 14.3 on them.

1. Insert the 32GB USB drive (Sonoma installer pkg should be in your Applications folder)
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column (choose "Show all devices" first)
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition
11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
12. Copy/Paste the following into Terminal and hit enter.
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app --nointeraction
Enter your Admin password. Hit enter again. Wait until the installer is fully built. Should take 30+ minutes.

13. Mount the hidden EFI partion of the flash drive. Use EFI agent. Drag and drop your EFI folder to that partition.

Step 2. Boot from the USB installer and Clear NVRAM then enter Recovery. Open Terminal from Utilities in the Menu bar.
Type in "csrutil disable" without quotes. Press enter and SIP should be disabled. Next format your SSD: GUID partition map and APFS as required for Sonoma.

Step 3. Make sure all other hard drives are disconnected for this install. Install Sonoma. The whole process may take 40-45 minutes with multiple reboots.

Step 4. After Sonoma install completes, you'll run the OC Legacy Patcher app and apply the root patches. If you have a Broadcom Wifi/BT card installed, it will install root patches for that as well as Intel HD4600. Note that all kexts required for supported BRCM Wifi/BT cards are already included in the EFI folder. My genuine Apple BRCM94360CD card is fully enabled. BT works perfectly too.

Step 5. Copy over your USB's EFI folder to the EFI partition of your SSD. Reboot after you've ejected your USB installer. Now open up your SSD's EFI config.plist with OCAT. Go to Platform Info (PI tab). Generate all serials, MLB and ROM, SMUUID for an iMacPro1,1. Make sure to save changes by clicking on the diskette icon. Check your System Serial at Apple's website for warranty coverage. https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

The result should be: Please enter a valid Serial Number. Which means it's ok to use the one you generated.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

Serials + System Info.png

Here's where you'll find these values in your config.plst when you open them with PlistEdit Pro or other editor.

1707592587237.png

After you reboot again and test that everything is working, you can try and sign in with your Apple ID to all the iServices and Facetime.

Step 6. If you want to use Firefox and other third party apps, you'll need to install AMFIPass.kext to allow them to run properly. Find this kext attached below. Also remove the amfi=0x80 boot arg from the config.plist so the kext will work. If you have to run OCLP again to root patch in the future, temporarily add that boot arg back in, apply the patches, reboot, remove amfi=0x80, and reboot again.

Step 7. If you don't have a supported Broadcom Wifi card and you need Wifi for streaming, another option that will work is a Realtek USB Wifi adapter. See the following thread for what model to buy and how to install on Sonoma.

Attachments

• AMFIPass.kext.zip
    179.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Sonoma 14.3 EFI Dell OptiMac 7020 : 9020.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Here's how my ATM window looks. I used OC 0.9.7 originally but the EFI is already updated to OpenCore 0.9.8.

About this Hack screen.png

Last edited:
Followed this guide with my 9020 usff over the weekend to test the waters, as my current Monterey install is out of support for the Home app. (Not really a deal breaker, just means managing my homepods can only be done via my phone)

The install procedure went flawlessly, save for my wifi not being supported (AW-CE123H/BCM94352HMB), which has nothing to do with the guide :p

The success of the install does have me looking at potential mini pcie upgrades tho....

Thanks trs96 for the fantastic guide :headbang:

Great guide, thank you! Got everything working on my 7020 except it won't sleep, it actually goes to sleep and when you wake it up it goes through the boot again. Any insight / advice would be much appreciated! Did you get yours to sleep/hybernate?

Any insight / advice would be much appreciated! Did you get yours to sleep/hybernate?
Yes, mine sleeps/wakes perfectly. Do you have an AMD dGPU or are you using only HD4600 ?

These are the read/write speeds I'm getting with an SN770 NVMe. Using the PCIe x16 slot on the board.

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 8.40.42 AM.png

Booting from an NVMe on a 7020/9020 requires that you flash a modified BIOS that has the NVMe driver included in it. The only way to get that is to extract and then mod the BIOS on your own machine first from within Windows 10.

Very detailed guide found here: https://www.tachytelic.net/2021/12/dell-optiplex-7020-nvme-ssd/
These machines have a UEFI BIOS, but they do not contain an NVMe driver. By adding the driver into the BIOS you can boot directly from a PCIe NVMe SSD.

Last edited:
Amazing longevity on these Dell 9020s, good to see they're still a popular choice for Hackintosh.
With an i7-4790 and WD SN770 NVMe it seems just as fast to me as 6 year newer systems running Sonoma.
At a fraction of the cost.

hey, the audio via dp worked on your machine? i tried make it work on mine but the only thing i've got was the internal speaker

the audio via dp worked on your machine?
I know that the HDMI audio doesn't work on mine. Don't have a DP monitor with speakers to test that.
The front headphone jack and rear line-out port work with no issues. I plug in a 2.1 speaker system to line-out
for audio. Sound is excellent. I never use built in TV or PC monitor speakers as most are junk. Not worth using.

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 7.56.58 PM.png

Back