Contribute
Register

Sonicworx Benchmark Thread (Taking Cpu, Hdd or Sdd to max)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OsX Mountain Lion
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
Nvidia GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Prosoniq Sonicworx Benchmark Thread

This thread is a guide to Benchmark your Hacks/Macs with a special heavy program from Prosoniq called Sonicworx. This program allows music analysis, takes a lot of cpu and handles large files (2 or 3 gb per 30 seconds). The program costs is 419€/529$ so we are going to test it with the demo. It seems long but trust me it's just hard to explain with words (it wont take you more than 5-10 minutes). Specially interested in see the results from people with raid 0 SSDs. However try it yourself even if you have an HDD so we can compare performace.

Preparing the program:
---------------------
1. Go to http://www.sonicworx.com and click in the yellow image "Demo Version Here". It will download a zip with the demo inside. Install it and it will appear in Applications.

2. To compare our results we will analyze the same track. Go to http://www.google.com and type "david guetta laserlight zippyshare". Enter in the first page (or go directly to http://www38.zippyshare.com/view.jsp?lo ... y=83942687 and avoid the google search). Click in the "Download Now" image.

3. Open the Sonicworx program from applications, skip the demo advices. Now Click - in the uppper toolbar - in Sonicworx/Preferences and check that are the same as the image below.

11449845.png

Now we are ready! We are going to do 5 measurements as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------

*If you make any mistake just close the program, search the ".analysis" file in the same folder of the track we downloaded before, delete it and start Sonicworx again.

1. In Sonicworx click "File/Open" and search the David Guetta track downloaded before. It will open the file and ask you if you want to Extract, Suppress or Decide Later. Click in Suppress and you reach to the image below.

30670517.png

Now we are going to select the part to analyze so you have to click in the arrow inside the red circle (previous image) and drag it till approx. 00:00:21:199 as you see in the next image.

90573022.png

Click in the "Analyze Selection" button and start measuring with this click. This is our first test and you will see a progression like in this image:

22882613.png

When the progression reachs 100% it will dissapear and we will stop measuring. Mine takes 1:35 to analyze.

2. Next test. Click in "Edits/Select All". Start measuring when clicking in "Yes". You will see a progression popup and we will stop measuring when it dissapears. My time in this test: 0:58.

3. Next one. First click in "Edits/Select None" to clear the previous selection. Once done, click in "Tools/Discard Transients" and start measuring with this click. Another progression popup appears and we will stop measuring when it dissapears. My time in this test: 2:20.

4. Next one. Click again in "Edits/Select None" to clear the previous selection. Now make sure that in the upper bar is selected the first selection tool and also the suppress option as the red circles in the image.

95250367.png

We start the measurement with a shift + click in the A point (exactly as in the red circle in the 1st second, previous image), and keep the shift+ mouse click till you reach the B point (4th second, previous image). You will see a white line and when you stop shift+clicking the line will become red. We will se a green progresion bar. If you scroll with the mouse up and down while the process you will see how the program is progressing in the analysis. Once the red line dissapears, we will finish measuring. Mine takes 2:40

33342890.png

5. Last one yeah! Click again in "Edits/Select None" to clear the previous selection. This one is the same as the the previous one but instead of just going from the 1st second to the 4th one we will split it in 3 parts to check multithreading. That means we start measuring with a shift+click in the first A point and keep it pressed till the first B Point,. Inmediately start another shift+click from the second A Point to the second B point and the same for the third cicle. This will max out your cpu and it takes 0:55 in my mac.

33628243.png

*Out of the test: Want to see the program taking your whole cpu performace? Open the Activity Monitor from Utilities, Click the Cpu tab and doble click in the black square. This opens the CPU monitor alone. Now repeat the last test but instead of going from the first second to the 4th one go on some more seconds making as much parts as possible!

Unistalling the programm
-----------------------
To uninstall the programm simply delete it from Applications. Then go to the folder where you have the David Guetta track and delete the .analysis file with the same name as the track. Thanks a lot for your help guys!! Much, much appreciated. If I can help you testing anything in my hack just let me know.

***I own the full program so could be small differences with the demo. If thats the case please just let me know to modify the benchmark guide.

People results:

dudes12 : i7 2600k, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 B10, 16GB GSkill Ripjaws, Corsair Force GT SSD 90GB, Edirol Fa66 Firewire Audio Interface in a Lacie Firewire Pci card with a Texas Instruments Chip, Lion 10.7.3.

1.Analyze: 1:35
2.Select All: 0:58
3.Discard Transients: 2:20
4.Low Suppress in 1 part: 2:40
5.Low Suppress in 3 parts: 0:55
---------------------------------

polobear: i7 3930k,@4,3GHz, Gigabyte X79-UD3 16GB Corsair 1600, Samsung SSD 830 120GB, Soundblaster X-Fi USB Audio Interface, Lion 10.7.3.

1.Analyze: 1:30
2.Select All: 0:40
3.Discard Transients: 1:29
-----------------------------

coupz: Gigabyte UD3H-B3, Core i7-2600, 16GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM, 2xCorsair Force GT Series 120GB SSDs - Raid-0, XFX 6870

1.Analyze: 2:04
2.Select All: 0:52
3.Discard Transients: 1:44
4.Low Suppress in 1 part 2:31
5.Low Suppress in 3 parts: 0:47
----------------------------

Ed.

Hey! Thanks for da info, but now i'm only working on Shitndows... i leaved my hackintosh fo the next month.

See ya!

Hey Ed, here are my results (gonna upload the video tomorrow):

1) 2:04
2) 0:52
3) 1:44
4) 2:31
5) 0:47

Not much difference, I had running Dropbox, Cloud, Chrome, Spotify and Quicktime Screen Capture running at the same time. Oh well, Little Snitch and iStat Menu too!
I will make today after another try without running something at the same time and try to upload the video for you ;)
It's now 1 AM here in Vienna, I'm going to sleep :D ;)

Gigabyte UD3H-B3, Core i7-2600, 16GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM, 2xCorsair Force GT Series 120GB SSDs - Raid-0, XFX 6870

polobear said:
Now sharing my results:

Hack : i7 3930k,@4,3GHz, Gigabyte X79-UD3 16GB Corsair 1600, Samsung SSD 830 120GB, Soundblaster X-Fi USB Audio Interface, Lion 10.7.3.

Tests:

1.Analyze: 1:30
2.Select All: 0:40
3.Discard Transients: 1:29

other tests not able to perform....DAU
User too dumb...

Thanks a lot for your tests! It's a pity you couldnt perform the 4th one, I am sure your brilliant 3930k would have make a lot of difference in it! :)

Coupz said:
Hey Ed, here are my results (gonna upload the video tomorrow):

1) 2:04
2) 0:52
3) 1:44
4) 2:31
5) 0:47

Not much difference, I had running Dropbox, Cloud, Chrome, Spotify and Quicktime Screen Capture running at the same time. Oh well, Little Snitch and iStat Menu too!
I will make today after another try without running something at the same time and try to upload the video for you ;)
It's now 1 AM here in Vienna, I'm going to sleep :D ;)

Gigabyte UD3H-B3, Core i7-2600, 16GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM, 2xCorsair Force GT Series 120GB SSDs - Raid-0, XFX 6870

Thanks a lot mate! You can see your raid ssd making difference in the 3rd test! The others are very similiar with the only difference of the 2600 and 2600k cpus. I will attach your video to the first post so people can see how to make some of the tests.

Updated first post with polobear and coupz test :)

polobear said:
well, my sonicworx window looks totally different, not one window with the whole file....

Mmm.. really? I know the demo was restricted to the first 30 seconds only but it should appear all in the main window. Could you post a pic of it mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back