I5 3230m
Graphics
Hd 4000/ 7650 hd
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sometimes Mavericks freezes at boot and need to shutdown and restart

After disabling radeon 7650 on mavericks i still get this issue. I'm desperate. It's weird that other probook 4540s users (with discrete graphics card or not) are not getting this issue. I've noticed that this usually happens after leaving windows idle for a while and then trying to get on mavericks (either with restart or shutdown and power on) . Mavericks wil boot fine after it is stuck and i shutdown and power on .

My bios settings are legay boot enabled , wake on lan/usb disabled, virtualization disabled ,fastboot disabled, ahci enabled and version is f.43. Previously it was f.42 and i updated it .

Basically my procedure to install mavericks and windows was to boot with unibeast create two partitions, one for mac journaled extended and other for ms dos for windows. Installed windows and afterwards mavericks. I still don't understand why this issue happens. If anyone has found a workaround please let me know. Another strange issue is that touchpad won't work before i put my password to login. What i mean is when i am on login screen of mavericks, i can't use touchpad which is strange.

Is it a problem with chameleon ? I have set default partition windows and i just choose the mac partition when i want to boot to mac. I havent changed any other settings in chamaleon .Should i use easybcd from windows to dual boot? Or chimera?

Another option is to install mountain lion instead but not sure if this will fix my issue.

If anyone has any suggestions please share it because i don't like having to reset my notebook in order to get to mavericks.

Thanks

Hello everyone

i have noticed a strange issue. Sometimes when trying to boot mavericks it stucks and i have to shutdown and power on the notebook. It usually happens when i am on windows 8 and do a restart to get to mavericks . Is it because of discrete graphics? It only happens sometimes. Anyone else got this issue?

I've seen it before... on various laptops. Best to do shutdown after running Win8.

I've seen it before... on various laptops. Best to do shutdown after running Win8.

So this is a general issue , not only for probooks 4540s with discrete graphics? In bios switchable graphics is enabled and works fine most of the times

So this is a general issue , not only for probooks 4540s with discrete graphics? In bios switchable graphics is enabled and works fine most of the times

I've seen it on some of my Haswell machines. Whether the cause is the same is anyone's guess.

I've seen it on some of my Haswell machines. Whether the cause is the same is anyone's guess.

Thanks RM, i will investigate more to see if my probook 4540s hardware has anything to do with it.

Yesterday I was using windows 8 and I deviced to boot in macos . So I shut down my pc and powered it on and again mac was stuck at boot . I immediately powered it on after shutting it down. Could that be the reason?

It seems that this happens randomly. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't . Is it common issue with my laptop probook 4540s with discrete graphics

Yesterday I was using windows 8 and I deviced to boot in macos . So I shut down my pc and powered it on and again mac was stuck at boot . I immediately powered it on after shutting it down. Could that be the reason?

It seems that this happens randomly. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't . Is it common issue with my laptop probook 4540s with discrete graphics

Your issue could be specific to your having discrete graphics enabled.

You could disable discrete graphics with DSDT/SSDT edits. It will certainly help with power usage, and maybe this issue too. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/118047-help-disable-hd-7650m-dsdt.html

But the fact that is boots fine doesnt mean the ati is disabled out of the box?

No. It is only disabled if you have it disabled in BIOS.

No. It is only disabled if you have it disabled in BIOS.
I see it is a bit advanced to patch . I read petevs post from the link you provided. If i leave it like it is without patching besides the random freeze on boot is there any other issue that could cause ? How do i know that radeon is running? Where is the info displayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back