Contribute
Register

Something cheap on a GA-B75M-HD3. How's it looking so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-HD3 v2.1
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
HD4600/GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I gave this a shot back in 2007 or so when OSX86 was starting to get steam. I had a 965 DS3 or something like that, an E2160 and 4GB of ram. (I was a baller back then?) I had KP's trying to get my QE/CI working, restarting was a shot in the dark at getting the system to boot. Sleep was considered a loss.

Ultimately I went back to Windows.

Fast forward to 2012, I bought a MacBook Pro and what a splendid device it is. 13", upgraded to a 750GB hybrid Seagate drive, 16GB of ram. I love OSX now. Unfortunately it can't play games for crap and I also went through hard drive cables like bottles of water. I think the Seagate drive taxes them due to the 7200 RPM speed.

So I'm going to give a Hackintosh+Splashtop set up a try. Here's what I have on order so far:
Gigabyte GA-B75M-HD3 - (I know it only has two ram slots, but I'm going for 16GB max so it will suffice)
Crucial 8GB DDR3-1333 - (I know it's not 1600 but again, I was going for cheap and my school's bookstore wanted $80 for a DDR3 8GB 1600 stick versus $50 for the 1333)
Intel Pentium G2020

What's left:
SSD - Do I need a 120? I don't care about booting Windows off of the HDD since I'm only using it for gaming here and there. 80% of the time I'll be on OSX. What I plan on installing: Office 2011, VLC Media Player, maybe 1-2 games on Mac Steam for the occasional grinding in Borderlands 2. Primarily I'll be using Office 2011 and browsing the internet with OSX.

HDD - I have my 500GB from my MacBook Pro. Once I pull my files off of it, I'm going to use it as a second drive. Or I'll pick up a cheap 1TB 7200 RPM drive.

GPU - I'm debating using the HD4000 in the meanwhile until I can decide which card fits my needs. Right now the choices are:
GTX 650 Ti Boost
GTX 650 Ti
GTX 660

How are 500 series cards in ML? I always see people emphasize picking a 600 series card. The last time I checked guides a few months ago, GTX 500 series cards were recommended. Did some kind of incompatibility surface with 10.8.1/2?

For PSU - I'm probably going to pick up a mildly used modular PSU on Craig's List or Overclock's marketplace. I'm going around $45-60 on that component but I want modular with at least 550 watts in case I go with a more powerful GPU in the future.

Is the G2020 an acceptable CPU for gaming? I'm going to be using a 24" 1080p monitor. I understand that at lower resolutions the CPU matters but at 1080p would a GTX 650 Ti Boost be enough to crank it through Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 with decent settings? At the same time, what kind of real world experience will I expect in OSX? How will a G2020 compare to the i5 in the MacBook Pro? My MacBook is quite speedy. Should I go with an i3 or an i5 to really wipe the floor with my MacBook? My concern is I'd rather invest in a more powerful GPU since the stressful task of my machine is gaming and not audio processing or editing. Am I right in that assumption?

Hi Essenar,

I am using that same board and CPU. I am using 4 GB of RAM and its more than enough for internet and word-processing type duties.

Couple of things you need to know, the G2020 has HD2500 graphics - its not supported by OSX although some have got it going it seems a little bit flaky. I would suggest you consider a GPU. a 650Ti should be all right, but do a little more research before making your decision

Memory is best bought as dual channel pairs rather than single channel sticks - the extra bandwidth for dual channel memory is noticeable. G2020 only supports 1333 Mhz. I have fitted 1600 Mhz (upgrading CPU to i5 at end of summer) but it is set as 1333 in the bios.

Using an SSD for all your software makes a big difference in speed. Highly recommended.

Good luck

hey i was actually looking for some cheap build for video editing perfectly.
is it possible to use ur B75M DH3 + 8gb ram + G2020 Cpu with 1 tb of drive.
if i have the configuration you provided can i do video editing smoothly with some average performance GPU?

sorry my bad not DH3 i meant ur board B75M HD3

ayushh,

For video editing processing power is of paramount importance. An i7 or i5 processor would make the most sense, the extra processing cores would make a HUGE difference.

I understand that you are on a tight budget and as long as you do a small of amount of light editing you can probably get by with an i3.

ayushh,

For video editing processing power is of paramount importance. An i7 or i5 processor would make the most sense, the extra processing cores would make a HUGE difference.

I understand that you are on a tight budget and as long as you do a small of amount of light editing you can probably get by with an i3.

Is the 650 Ti Boost supported out of the box? Since the HD2500 isn't supported, if I set up the desktop with a 650 Ti Boost, will it automatically detect it and get me into the install enough to install drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back