Contribute
Register

Some good news....some bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, the good news is that I got all the parts in today and got things up and running. I can get into the
BIOS and make the changes that are recommended, but my iboot is not working. I have the GA-Z77X-UD5H with the i7 3770 processor. The iboot I'm using is the "iboot for Ivy Bridge" and all I can get on the screen is: "Reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I have iboot on a disc and the machine does see it and it has been moved to the top of the list as it searches for a boot. I continue to run into walls trying to get hold of anything for Mountain Lion and I have the disk for Snow Leopard and decided I'd be OK with that if I can get it to work. I know from other discussions that my
GPU is also incompatible with SL (EVGA GX 670), which I do have installed at the present time. My drives are the San Disk Extremem SSD 240 GB SATA and a Sony AD-7280S-OB 24xSATA optical drive which is where my iboot disk is located. I'm thinking I'll try removing the GPU and go off the board for the monitor which has both a VGA and DVI-D output. With my power pc I run it with VGA out through and adaptor for DVI into the tower and I't thinking I can to the same with the Hackintosh.[h=1][/h]

remove GPU and use on-CPU HD4000 to install with - make First Init Display selection as IGPU in BIOS, set IGPU Memory to 64M

When you power on, hold down F12 key until it comes up a selection for boot device - select the Non-UEFI ODD as your boot device and hit enter.

Well, the good news is that I got all the parts in today and got things up and running. I can get into the
BIOS and make the changes that are recommended, but my iboot is not working. I have the GA-Z77X-UD5H with the i7 3770 processor. The iboot I'm using is the "iboot for Ivy Bridge" and all I can get on the screen is: "Reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I have iboot on a disc and the machine does see it and it has been moved to the top of the list as it searches for a boot. I continue to run into walls trying to get hold of anything for Mountain Lion and I have the disk for Snow Leopard and decided I'd be OK with that if I can get it to work. I know from other discussions that my
GPU is also incompatible with SL (EVGA GX 670), which I do have installed at the present time. My drives are the San Disk Extremem SSD 240 GB SATA and a Sony AD-7280S-OB 24xSATA optical drive which is where my iboot disk is located. I'm thinking I'll try removing the GPU and go off the board for the monitor which has both a VGA and DVI-D output. With my power pc I run it with VGA out through and adaptor for DVI into the tower and I't thinking I can to the same with the Hackintosh.[h=1][/h]

tomdellinger

As Going Bald says follow this for the video - its needed -

Also as your system is Ivy Bridge - use the iBoot for Ivy Bridge CD

Also you should disable the VT-d in the bios as well.

See this link for added info and or questions users have posted
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html

Also do not use MultiBeast on this - go straight to COmbo Update 10.6.8 then the apple app store.

Also Video is DVI not VGA - no support for VGA anymore. (long time)

You will need to boot w the following switches

-v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No

thanks guys...I need to run out to get a cable for the monitor so it's all DVI. I'll check back in later....fingers crossed.

I got the proper cable and have DVI now for the monitor and using the board for graphics. I've done most of the changes recommended. I've always used the iBoot for Ivy Bridge which I downloaded and burned on a friend's Mac. I also have a version I made with my PowerPC G5, but figured I'm better off with one from the Mac. On another thread I read that in making that disk, we should extract the files from the .iso file and use that as opposed to just the .iso file on the disk. I've made one like that with my PowerPC, but still no luck either way. I've been wondering about the connections to the board for my optical and SSD drives too. There are about 3 different versions of SATA connections available and as I read on another thread, it was recommended to use "SATA3 (SATA 6GB/s Connectors, Controlled by Intel Z778 chipset). There is a SATA2 and GSATA (controlled by Marvell 88SE9172 chipset) also available.

"Also you should disable the VT-d in the bios as well. "

I was unable to find this setting in the bios and the closest thing I could find, and I've seen where others have done this, is that I set Intel Virtualization Technology to disabled.

"remove GPU and use on-CPU HD4000 to install with - make First Init Display selection as IGPU in BIOS, set IGPU Memory to 64M"

I did find this and was made that change in the bios. I'm a little confused about what the HD400 is. I'm guessing that's something embedded in the system? Or is that something I need to get hold of and install for the initial installation. I've done some research on Google, but still confused.

And at this point, I continue with the same message on my screen: "Reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

It's obvious to me that the system sees it, but there's something lost in the translation. I hope we find the magic bullet soon.

My components:

GA Z77 LGA 1155-UD5H
Core i7 3770
Sony AD7280S-OB SATA Optical Drive
SaDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA SSD

I got the proper cable and have DVI now for the monitor and using the board for graphics. I've done most of the changes recommended. I've always used the iBoot for Ivy Bridge which I downloaded and burned on a friend's Mac. I also have a version I made with my PowerPC G5, but figured I'm better off with one from the Mac. On another thread I read that in making that disk, we should extract the files from the .iso file and use that as opposed to just the .iso file on the disk. I've made one like that with my PowerPC, but still no luck either way. I've been wondering about the connections to the board for my optical and SSD drives too. There are about 3 different versions of SATA connections available and as I read on another thread, it was recommended to use "SATA3 (SATA 6GB/s Connectors, Controlled by Intel Z778 chipset). There is a SATA2 and GSATA (controlled by Marvell 88SE9172 chipset) also available.

"Also you should disable the VT-d in the bios as well. "

I was unable to find this setting in the bios and the closest thing I could find, and I've seen where others have done this, is that I set Intel Virtualization Technology to disabled.

"remove GPU and use on-CPU HD4000 to install with - make First Init Display selection as IGPU in BIOS, set IGPU Memory to 64M"

I did find this and was made that change in the bios. I'm a little confused about what the HD400 is. I'm guessing that's something embedded in the system? Or is that something I need to get hold of and install for the initial installation. I've done some research on Google, but still confused.

And at this point, I continue with the same message on my screen: "Reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

It's obvious to me that the system sees it, but there's something lost in the translation. I hope we find the magic bullet soon.

My components:

GA Z77 LGA 1155-UD5H
Core i7 3770
Sony AD7280S-OB SATA Optical Drive
SaDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA SSD
OK, taking things one at a time, proper way to make the iBoot CD is to download the .iso file from forum downloads. You got that already. Now, open disk utility - we are going to burn the .iso to a CD with this app. Right click on downloads and select open downloads so you can see it in Finder. If the .iso is still a zip file, double click on it to open it up. Drag the .iso file to the lower left pane of disk utility and drop it. Click on it ti hi-lite it.
Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 5.55.22 PM.jpg

Click on burn, and then use the drop down arrow to select the ODD with your CD in it, and click on burn.
Burn iBoot CD.jpg

Use this CD to boot with.
For the SATA ports, disconnect everything from the board. Refer to your manual and locate the lowest numbered SATA II 3G/s port. Connect OS X drive here. Connect ODD right next to it.

For the VT-d - you might or might not have it. It depends on the CPU. If you have it, it will be in the M.I.T. tab section of the BIOS. Leave Virtualization Technology enabled.

HD4000 is the on-CPU GPU. This is what allows you to not have a discrete graphics card installed and still have video.

So, power on, open ODD tray and insert iBoot Ivy Bridge, close tray and hold down F12 key until the menu pops up to select a boot device. Select the non-EFI ODD with the iBoot CD in it and hit enter.
It should boot to the Chimera screen with a single icon for the iBoot assuming the HDD you plan to install on is blank.

Remove the iBoot Ivy Bridge CD, replace it with the SL DVD and close the tray. Wait until the drive light goes out and the tray stops spinning, hit F5 the refresh the screen, check to dee the OS X install DVD icon is hi-kited and hit enter to install.

Hopefully this will get you up and running.

Huzzzaaaahhhh! We've got a snow leopard in da house!!! Thank you all so much for the assistance, and especially that detail you gave me in that last post, Going Bald. I got both the SSD and the ODD in SATA2 ports and I was going through the manual...scratching my head and I just knew it was all about the drives and the way they communicated with the board. I decided to just go ahead and disable the VIA chipset as I didn't need them for this and I'll go back in to turn 'em on later. I also gambled on enabling internal graphics...it just seemed to make sense. I still get that message on the screen, but once I hit a key on the keyboard, it loads. Right now it still wants to go through the ODD to boot, but that should go away once I get back to the BIOS and change that priority list.

It's been a long day and a half of it. Tomorrow or Monday I'll get back to running Multibeast. I had thought that it would likely be best to get that via the new mac since I'm on a PowerPC here and I suspect it should be done with a real mac. I have no idea if the board will make that online connection without the wi fi card but I guess I'll find out. Also, I don't know if I need to upgrade to 10.6.8 as someone told me on another thread that I could upgrade to Mavericks for free from Snow Leopard. Perhaps I can do that from where I'm at now.

I worked on this from about 1 yesterday afternoon until about 3 in the morning and picked it up again as soon as I got up this morning, working non stop until now (7:00 pm). Time for a break....some popcorn and quality time with my wife....good movie on PBS tonight: Giant, with Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson. Honest...I was beginning to think I may end up with a very nice PC.....I'm a very happy guy!

Huzzzaaaahhhh! We've got a snow leopard in da house!!! Thank you all so much for the assistance, and Tomorrow or Monday I'll get back to running Multibeast

Good you got it working. Forget MultiBeast for the time being. You will not be able to boot from HDD with that build anyway due to lack of support for the hardware in the SL kernel. You will always have to use the iBoot Ivy Bridge CD to boot with.

First thing to do is to download the 10.6.8 update (combo) from apple support and install it on your PC-Mac.
You might have to then relocate your build to where you can connect to a cable if your WiFi card doesn't work in SL.

Next is to download the Mavericks install app from the app store and run it to get Mavericks running on your PC-Mac. Then you run MultiBeast.

Yes...last night I upgraded to 10.6.8, but I ran Multibeast there per the directions. Today, I installed Mavericks. It's all working, but a bit buggy and I'll have some issues to deal with starting tomorrow, so I'll be moving over to the Mavericks forum.

Actually.....not so fast. When all else fails....read the manual....watch the video, etc. I was having some buggy issues and just watched the video on installing Mavericks which I think will address the most serious of my issues. That all looks good and I'll be jumping into that tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back