W3690
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Folks,

I'm struggling to get my Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4G on Xeon motherboard as mentioned HERE.

I realise I'm missing some key information. Fortunately the system comes up adequately to use VNC, so I'm in a good place to debug. I'd greatly appreciate some guidance here.

It seems that I can potentially inject/patch using Clover/WEG/SSDT but I'm not clear quite what I need to achieve to get MacOS to use the display. No matter what I do, MacOS sees the card, but I get a black screen mid-way through the boot screen. I have two connected displays; the OS always reports the display connected to the DVI port but not the one connected to the display port.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 21.58.43.png

What needs to be in place for MacOS to actually use the card?

Without injection using Inject->ATI or FixDisplay=NO I see the following in IoRegistryExplorer. From what I've seen in these forums display@0 isn't going to work.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.03.26.png

If I use Lilu/WEG I at least see GFX0 rather than display0, but I still get no output.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.28.41.png

I see at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/#post-1183909 that as I'm using a Xeon motherboard with ProductName of MacPro5,1 it may be that I should be renaming the card to PSX1. Is that the case, and if so, how should I do this?

In OEM Apple ACPI tables, the GPU Devices are named as follows:
iMac13/14/15/17: Discrete GPU = "GFX0" (@0). Integrated GPU = "IGPU" (@2 or 0x00020000)
MacPro3,1/5,1: Discrete GPU#1 = "PSX1" (@0).
MacPro6,1: Discrete GPU#1 = "GFX1" (@0). Discrete GPU#2 = "GFX2" (@0).

I'm also rather confused by the issue of frame buffers. It looks as if Acre is the closest match. I've been able to define a connector patch to match my card based on the excellent guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/. However I'm not sure how to confirm this has been correctly applied.

Going back to basics though, is the following what you'd expect to see for a DVI port? A display-type of LCD isn't what I'd expect here, but I'm not sure.
Screenshot 2018-11-09 at 16.45.55.png

So, in summary:
  1. Bearing in mind that I have no IGPU as I'm using a Xeon, what display name should I be using, and how should I set it?
  2. Is the frame buffer OK, or does it need patching?
Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.03.26.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 22.03.26.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 50
After much experimentation I've got one monitor working!

To answer the above questions so this might be useful to others, here's what I did.

I applied as SSDT patch to rename the display@0, first to GFX0, then GFX1, and finally PSX1. I was happy to figure out how to do this, but none of these fixed my problem.

I then reviewed my connector patch and realised I'd made a single character mistake; an incorrect sense ID. I fixed that and the monitor connected to DVI came to life! I then backed out the SSDT patch, to leave the display named as display@0 and it still works! So, all changes to the default installation are constrained to the config.plist file.

So, on a Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4G, a working configuration is as per the attached config file. Much of this is default with a lot of commented out features, so I'll trim this down eventually. First I need to get the second monitor working. Any input most welcome.

Steve

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.9 KB · Views: 161
So, DP was detected, but with a black screen. HDMI works fine, so as I only need two monitors I'll just use DVI and HDMI and forget about DP. Final config.plist attached in case it's useful to anybody else.

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.9 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back