Contribute
Register

[solved] Video stuck at 00:00 after wakeup - Intel HD 520 - Sierra - Hardware decoding problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Skylake i5
Graphics
Intel HD 520
I had a wake-up problem in my Dell Inspiron 15 7569 (Core i5-6200U, Intel HD Graphics 520), I've fixed the graphic acceleration thanks for this forum, and now my dell laptop can run at full speed (include hardware decoding, battery, audio, backlight, touchpad...).

The only problem is that the video always stuck at 00:00 after wake-up (the wake-up function on my hackintosh is pretty good except this video problem).

I've tried many browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.), many websites (YouTube, Hulu, Netflix..) and many applications (desktop app, include QuickTime), even the FaceTime, I also use "flash player enabler" to force websites to use flash-player instead of HTML 5 for video streaming, but all of them stuck at 00:00 (FaceTime blocked at the startup), the only solution is to reboot. If this problem happens, I need to force those applications to quit for rebooting the laptop because they cannot exit properly when the problem happens.

I'm now suspecting the hardware decoding because today I've accidentally found that YouTube can play 144p and 240p but not the higher resolution videos (like 360p, 480p, 720, 1080p) after wake-up. I think the two lowest resolution videos 144p and 240p were programmed to use CPU for decoding but the higher resolution videos are forced to use GPU decoding (or hardware decoding). I think the potential reason for this problem is that the GPU decoder was not reset after sleep/wake-up.

I try to fix the problem by resetting the hardware decoder but I'm not found any related services in Mac Sierra 10.12.6.

Hope you can help me if you know how to reset hardware decoder within Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same exact problem on 10.13.3 with Intel UHD 630. Videos play perfectly fine until the machine goes to sleep and wakes up. After that, Quicktime just hangs (not responding). Audio still plays fine. Youtube works up to 240p. VDADecoder just hangs.

Have you found a solution yet?

I have the same exact problem on 10.13.3 with Intel UHD 630. Videos play perfectly fine until the machine goes to sleep and wakes up. After that, Quicktime just hangs (not responding). Audio still plays fine. Youtube works up to 240p. VDADecoder just hangs.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Also, please fix your profile (laptop hardware details) as per FAQ.

Hi, I don't solve the problem, but I changed to Opera, another internet web browser, which is at least not stuck for Youtube after wakeup!

Hi, I don't solve the problem, but I changed to Opera, another internet web browser, which is at least not stuck for Youtube after wakeup!
I fixed the problem by applying the HECI to IMEI patch in Clover Configurator. I also changed my system definition from iMac18,3 to iMac18,1 since I only use iGPU (18,3 has two GPUs, 18,1 just one).

HECI->IMEI rename is already provided by the laptop guide files:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

iMac SMBIOS is not appropriate for a laptop.

Thank you, also saved me a few hours of trial and error!

I have the same problem on a hp 840-g4 laptop with Catalina and Opencore, all with latest version of kexts and everything.

The thing is that HECI to IMEI patch doesn't work for this laptop. I had to change address of HECI to 0 in order to get IMEI device on ioreg (i trhink whatevergreen is doing the renaming).

Having the IMEI device, the lag persist. Its really annoinyng.

Any clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back