Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Ventura/Sonoma - Random (Scheduled PM) Wake from Sleep

My system(Sonoma 14.1.1) doesn't wake up even if I am also getting the CSPNEvaluation events.

@medianjoe,

Very strange that you get the CSPNEvaluation wake reasons without the system actually waking.
Maybe something to do with the widgets you mentioned but seems unlikely.

Cheers
Jay

I implemented the fix! So far so good, but I haven't tested for an extended time yet...

After adding the powerd.plist I noticed this new option in the Energy Saver setting: "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off" and it is toggled off

Untitled.jpg

@jaymonkey this guide fixed sleep issues my hack had on Ventura first, and Sonoma now, so thank you for your work.

I was wondering, do you believe it can allow ARM MacBooks to fully sleep as well? Sure Find my Mac and such will be broken, oh well.

Yeah wtf ! Mine says: Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off and connected to the power...

I am finding this workaround is not working on a macbook M1 chip, it's doing dark wakes with lid closed all time also unplugged.

I am finding this workaround is not working on a macbook M1 chip, it's doing dark wakes with lid closed all time also unplugged.
Ventura or Sonoma?

I was wondering, do you believe it can allow ARM MacBooks to fully sleep as well?

@m4rk0,

Thats a good question, since posting the nature of the problem and subsequent fix, i've been monitoring other forums (for Hacks and Apple Macs) and it seems that many Apple Silicon Macs are also suffering from this issue (as well as Intel based Macs). Some users have reported that the fix works for them and others (like @guindillas) above found that it does not help.

I don't have a Apple Silicon Mac (yet) so can't really comment on how well it works on AS Macs.

However, as i already wrote i do wonder if the CSPNEvaluation wake reasons are meant to be controlled by the Power Nap toggle in system settings but is not working in the current release of Sonoma. Maybe Apple will address it in a future update, maybe they wont ....

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I implemented the fix! So far so good

@tedyun,

Glad that it seems to be working for you ....

I noticed this new option in the Energy Saver setting: "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off" and it is toggled off

I think in Ventura that option used to be under :-

System Settings -> Displays -> Advanced

Maybe Apple moved it in Sonoma ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
After some tweeking (pmset -a xxxxx 0) the results now of pmset -g are: (it is normal the comment on powerd?)

Code:
User@user~ % pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
 SleepDisabled        0
Currently in use:
 standby              0
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 SleepServices        0
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 powernap             0
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            10
 sleep                1 (sleep prevented by sharingd, powerd)
 hibernatemode        3
 ttyskeepawake        0
 displaysleep         2
 tcpkeepalive         0
 lowpowermode         0
 womp                 0

I think the unique process darwaking now is NUB.SPMISw3IRQ, I would investigate more, but found on other forums from a user that this process is only dark-waking when an iphone is near the macbook. I will update. Reasons can be airtags, or other apple products. Also I am using the AlDente app...

Code:
2023-11-27 18:38:55 +0100 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:29%) 2 secs
2023-11-27 18:38:57 +0100 DarkWake                DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDN] : due to NUB.SPMISw3IRQ nub-spmi0.0x02 rtc/ Using BATT (Charge:29%) 5 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:02 +0100 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:29%) 2 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:04 +0100 DarkWake                DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDN] : due to NUB.SPMISw3IRQ nub-spmi0.0x02 rtc/ Using BATT (Charge:29%) 6 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:10 +0100 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:29%) 2 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:12 +0100 DarkWake                DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDN] : due to NUB.SPMISw3IRQ nub-spmi0.0x02 rtc/ Using BATT (Charge:29%) 5 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:17 +0100 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:29%) 2 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:19 +0100 DarkWake                DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDN] : due to NUB.SPMISw3IRQ nub-spmi0.0x02 rtc/ Using BATT (Charge:29%) 6 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:25 +0100 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=disabled Using Batt (Charge:29%) 2 secs
2023-11-27 18:39:27 +0100 DarkWake                DarkWake from Deep Idle [CDN] : due to NUB.SPMISw3IRQ nub-spmi0.0x02 rtc/ Using BATT (Charge:29%) 2 secs

UPDATE: Now is no more Dark wakes about NUB.SPMISw3IRQ with Bluetooth switched OFF, in case this is happening to someone else, i can recommend Bluesnooze app for this

But there is still one process i am not able to cancel: AOP.OutboxNotEMpty spu_queue_overflow_ep42 is darkwaking every 1h 04m with wifi and bluetooth off and going further on this rabbit hole I found this
Code:
mdfind kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier = "com.apple.driver.AppleSPU"
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSPU.kext
Does anyone what is this kext for?

Last edited:
no more Dark wakes about NUB.SPMISw3IRQ with Bluetooth switched OFF, in case this is happening to someone else, i can recommend Bluesnooze app for this

@guindillas,

I use Bluesnooze myself on may hacks to toggle BT on and off during sleep, it get's around a know issue with Magic Mouse not working after wake from sleep :-

going further on this rabbit hole I found this
Code:
mdfind kMDItemCFBundleIdentifier = "com.apple.driver.AppleSPU"
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSPU.kext
Does anyone what is this kext for?

Have not come across this kext before, after a quick search it seems to be something do with driver management :-

So probably quite important ....

Cheers
Jay

Back