evga geforce 9800 gtx+ 512mb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi,

my system has generally been running quite well, but i have one super annoying issue: my computer will kernel panic after waking from sleep if i plug in a USB device (usually my iPhone or a flash drive) or if i try to access a keychain in someway (usually by using 1password or trying to do something that requires admin authorization).

i can consistently reproduce the panic with the following steps:

1. put computer sleep (can't check on autosleep, that's not working)
2. wake computer
3. plug in iphone

my hardware is in my sig and i'm running the f9 bios and the f9 dsdt from the database. my /e/e folder has fakesmc.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, JMicron36xATA.kext, JMicron36xSATA.kext and Legacy888HDA.kext. i've tried repairing permissions and running the multibeast system utils.

has anybody seen this problem before? help very much appreciated!

thanks!

Attachments

• kp.jpg
    kp.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Re: usb & keychain cause KP after sleep

Are you using a DSDT?
Does it also KP if in 32bit?

yes, using the dsdt for my bios version from the database.

short answer for 32-bit mode: no. very long answer: see below.

when i tried to test in 32-bit mode to answer your question, i set off a crazy chain of events that resulted in this no longer happening in 64-bit mode either. well, at least for now, i don't know if it'll come back. i do not understand what part of the stuff below fixed this, or why. i don't even know if it's permanently fixed, but plugging in my iphone at least didn't cause a KP.

so here's what happened:
1. i restarted and entered arch=i386 at chameleon prompt, but system booted in 64-bit mode anyway

2. i changed my com.apple.Boot.plist to include arch=i386 instead of arch=x86_64 and rebooted, but my startup hung at the grey apple logo screen

3. i hit my case's reset button and redid above with same results

4. i hit my case's reset button and just ended up with a black screen, no bios

5. i held case's power button until machine shut off, waited, and turned it back on. bios came up with an error that said "The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages. Last settings in BIOS setup may not coincide with current H/W states." it also indicated my CPU and memory speeds were throttled down.

6. opened BIOS, reset to optimized defaults and then changed these based on my memory of lnx2mac's recommendations

7. entered arch=i386 -v at chameleon prompt to see what the heck was going on. startup still hung (see attachment). looks like maybe a problem with my firewire card?

8. reset from case switch again, opened up bios settings and set hpet to 32-bit mode, booted with arch=i386 -v at chameleon prompt again, had startup hang in basically the same spot (the last two launchd lines from the screenshot didn't appear this time)

9. reset from case switch again, booted with -x -v at chameleon prompt and finally got into my system (32-bit safe mode).

10. ran multibeast system utilities, rebooted

11. booted with -v at chameleon prompt and finally got a clean boot into the system in 32-bit mode.

12. tried to recreate kernel panic by sleeping, waking, and plugging in iphone. NO KERNEL PANIC.

13. changed com.apple.Boot.plist back to arch=x86_64, ran multibeast system utilities, rebooted

14. changed BIOS hpet back to 64-bit, booted with -v at chameleon prompt and got back into the system in 64-bit mode.

15. tried to recreate kernel panic by sleeping, waking, and plugging in iphone. NO KERNEL PANIC.

so, that's it. now i have no idea what the hell is going on. i'm even more confused than before and, again, help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194

quick update -- not as resolved as i thought. i noticed that anytime i couldn't trigger the KP i was in verbose mode. so, i rebooted in 64-bit mode without -v and was able to trigger the KP as before. this correlation seems nuts to me, but there you go.

will try to get into 32-bit mode without -v and see what happens.

Hmm...I've heard others had similar KP problems that magically went away when booting verbose. Can't remember what the difference is due to (if I ever knew!), but seemed related to way mkexts/kexts get loaded. eg: in Netbook world, seemed people got KPs unless verbose... unless they created huge mkext of both /E/E/ and /S/L/E kexts.

Well, I guess you've got no strange kexts installed (/Extra/Extensions) that might require special treatment, but it wouldn't hurt to:
a) Recreate the /Extra Extensions.mkext and the standard /S/L/E based boot caches also, using apps from Multibeast - I think the one you want is Kext Utility.

b) Check what stuff you do have in /Extra/Extensions, more for insight than expecting to immediately find an issue.

thank you. i decided the simplest way to make sure everything was clean was to simply erase my extra folder and reinstall it from multibeast. this seems to have solved the problem. the only differences i can see from my previous extra folder are:

1. in my old com.apple.Boot.plist i was booting with the arch=x86_64 flag, but i'm not now. my system is still booting in 64-bit mode, though.

2. my old com.apple.Boot.plist had Boot Banner = no, my new one doesn't have a Boot Banner entry.

3. my old extra folder had an Extensions.bak.mkext item that isn't in my new folder

4. i used to be booting with JMicron36xATA.kext and JMicron36xSATA.kext and am now not

so, maybe on of these was causing a problem, or maybe it was a permissions thing, or maybe something just corrupted. i'm not sure, but i'm happy it seems to be working for now.

i'm still having the same problem with hanging at the grey apple screen, which seems to be a firewire issue, but that's most likely a problem for another thread.

thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm also having this problem on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5.
I get a KP in both normal 64bit and verbose, but if I boot into safe mode it doesn't happen.

Could this be something to do with the IOUSBFamily.kext or one of it's plugins that are causing the KP and are not loaded on safe boot?

EDIT:
Fixed by moving all kexts to S/L/E and booting with UseCaches=Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back