CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently upgraded my GTX 970 to the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB. I did nothing to my Clover configuration. I simply installed the new card and booted.

Everything worked like a charm out of the box with one exception. I have a three-monitor setup: two connect via Displayport and they both work fine. The third, an older 30" Dell, connects via dual-link DVI. If I try to boot with the 30" Dell connected (either by itself or with either or both of the Displayport monitors), the boot screen never appears. If I connect the 30" Dell after the system has booted successfully with only the other two monitors connected, the system immediately freezes and I have to hard boot.

I've done some searching, and keep coming across conflicting advice: use WhateverGreen and Lilu, don't use WEG and Lilu. Use RadeonInit and Inject ATI=Yes, don't do those things. And then there is the whole framebuffer edit issue which also has gobs of confusing and contradictory information. (Even the lengthy AMD guide on this site seems to be in need of update.)

Can someone kindly direct me to the current state of affairs so I can get the third monitor up and running? I am currently using High Sierra 10.13.6, running on a Haswell 4790k and Gigabyte Gaming 3 mobo. I plan to do a clean install of Mojave once I get this issue ironed out.

Thank you.

I tried the instructions contained in this post:

Radeon RX 570 and RX 580, how good is the native support?

I enabled iGPU in the BIOS, uninstalled the Nvidia driver and manager, and I even tried adding WhateverGreen kext into my High Sierra and Other folders. The behaviour remains exactly the same. If I try to boot with the 30" DVI monitor connected, I can see Clover fine, and then the Apple boot progress screen, but I never get the login prompt and have to hard boot. If I try to connect the monitor while already booted, the other two screens dim, and the system freezes, and I have to again hard boot.

I have Orinoco selected as FB.

Not sure what to try next. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I tried the instructions contained in this post:
Radeon RX 570 and RX 580, how good is the native support?
I enabled iGPU in the BIOS, uninstalled the Nvidia driver and manager, and I even tried adding WhateverGreen kext into my High Sierra and Other folders. The behaviour remains exactly the same. If I try to boot with the 30" DVI monitor connected, I can see Clover fine, and then the Apple boot progress screen, but I never get the login prompt and have to hard boot. If I try to connect the monitor while already booted, the other two screens dim, and the system freezes, and I have to again hard boot
I have Orinoco selected as FB.
Not sure what to try next. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Just install latest Lilu+ Whatevergreen, remove all FB selections and patches, remove RadeonInit and Inject ATI=Yes and you might have to use -raddvi or -rad24 bootarg because of the Dell monitor might be a tad older and can not support current connection detection.

Just install latest Lilu+ Whatevergreen, remove all FB selections and patches, remove RadeonInit and Inject ATI=Yes and you might have to use -raddvi or -rad24 bootarg because of the Dell monitor might be a tad older and can not support current connection detection.

Thank you. I will give this a try tomorrow when back to my computer. Appreciate the response.

I was able to get to this and try it tonight. No luck. Placed the kext files in 10.13 and Other (just in case). I tried it with and without the suggested boot arguments. Same behaviour.

I currently have iGPU disabled, although I don't think this would matter.

Any other possibilities?

Thanks.

I was able to get to this and try it tonight. No luck. Placed the kext files in 10.13 and Other (just in case). I tried it with and without the suggested boot arguments. Same behaviour.
I currently have iGPU disabled, although I don't think this would matter.
Any other possibilities?
Thanks.
Upload your entire EFI folder please.

Here is the zip file. Thanks for your help.

(Message below.)

Upload your entire EFI folder please.

Having little success uploading this. I'll try one more time. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.5 MB · Views: 129
Works better with 10.14 than 10.13. If 10.13, it should be 10.13.6

Yes, I am on 10.13.6. Was going to update to 10.14 once this monitor issue was sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back