Contribute
Register

[Solved] Updating from Yosemite to High Sierra unable to boot after working for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rant, sorry!

Is there something wrong with my thread ?

I try to keep it as clean and documented as I can, and troubleshooting by myself as much as I can.

By the way, thank you BreBo for the boot with caches option (I found out myself earlier and I forgot to answer in the joy of seeing my desktop again).

But as said earlier, I’m kind of a noob and there is so much variables to get your build work smoothly that I’m kind of drowning in a ocean of information, especially with the kexts/config.plist.

• In your config.plist_ACPI remove unwanted [√] from "Fixes" (in1) as shown in the uploaded edited image viewed from Clover Configurator Vibrant. I have suggested to add [√]FixHeader (in 2).
  • Save the updated Config.plist.
  • See if the Reboot issue resolves
  • If that is still not resolved, further editing of config.plist may be needed.
  • In addition, we may have to look at your BIOS _Power Management Screen shot uploaded to the Forum.

Attachments

• ACPI.png
    ACPI.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 265
I'm not religious but God thank you for your help!

Edited the config.plist as suggested, but still rebooting on shut down. Joined updated version.
Joined some BIOS screenshots.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• config.plist
    22.7 KB · Views: 275
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
  • Power Managmt.jpeg
    Power Managmt.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
I'm not religious but God thank you for your help!

Edited the config.plist as suggested, but still rebooting on shut down. Joined updated version.
Joined some BIOS screenshots.

Thanks again!
See uploaded Power Management tab of your BIOS upload after my editing .
Wake on LAN : ENABLED->DISABLED
ErP:DISABLED -> ENABLED
Save edited BIOS
Reboot

see how it behaves now
Post back
I have not edited C.plist. I want this BIOS change done before I consider any other change to C.plist

Attachments

• BIOS_Power management.png
    BIOS_Power management.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 210
Yay! Shut down works now.

But I couldn't disable Wake on LAN, it's greyed out on Enabled, weird.

Thanks a lot cmn699!

Yay! Shut down works now.

But I couldn't disable Wake on LAN, it's greyed out on Enabled, weird.

Thanks a lot cmn699!
No problem.
End goal is not how faithfully we can comply with a troubleshoot sequence , but how fast and secure we can achieve solving the problem we face.
If your Shut down problem is fixed with the steps you have done, then for your System (hardware+OS+), that is the end of the troubleshoot.
I am glad one more headache is over for you:)
Do you think this topic can be closed as [SOLVED] to the title?
If so, please edit the Title as [SOLVED] prefixed to it.

Hello there, my build has been getting slower and slower to boot these last weeks and today it wasn’t able to make it. It took two minutes to get to the clover screen (spent maybe 15s on “scan entries”) and another two to get to the end of the progress bar with the Apple logo, but didn’t get further.
Stopped itself after 15 min or so.

I also noticed that the usual “flash” thing with a noise from the speakers when its reaching the 3/4 of the progress bar didn’t happened.

Here is a screenshot of the boot prior the clover screen.

2DC29B8A-3A52-4D9F-9F24-5306948FE39A.jpeg

Some retranscription :

mx_kernel_mount:1371: reloading after unclean mount, checkpoint xid 779169, superblock xid 778877

er_state_obj_get_for_recovery:3711: No ER state object for volume Preboot - rolling is not happening, nothing to recover.

And same line with volume SSD, Recovery and VM.

Any help welcomed, thanks!

Edit: after some reading, I’m thinking that may be from TRIM. I don’t know if it’s enabled but as this doesn’t ring a bell to me I guess it’s the case. I also can’t find how to disable it from booting sequence, if that is possible.

Verbose boot :

A4D1B791-2732-4B7C-984C-930F4A2D35B1.jpeg

Also tried safe mode boot and without kexts, didn’t helped either.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lame bump but I’m running out of ideas to make it work again. Don’t you guys have an idea about what I could do next ?

What I don’t get is why this trim problem is just coming now, it used to work fine for weeks.

I guess I will have to make a fresh hfs+j install, bummer.

I tried following this guide as one particular line ("will install and seem to work fine, but then degenerate to an unusable state.") seemed to be like my problem :

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

Managed to get rid of all non-HD entries, down to 3 HD ones, but when I reboot using Clover restart button, and go to the BIOS, everything is back, I have 7 to 9 entries.

I can't find how to also remove those entries from the BIOS.

I also tried the "sudo trimforce disable" command line from the Recovery partition and USB installer Terminal but returns a "command not found".

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back