[Solved] Updated to latest clover and now Mac drive not listed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 1.3 (U1D)
CPU
Intel Core i7 3.49 GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB (GV-N105TOC-4GD)
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was attempting to update from sierra to high sierra, and in the process used Clover Configurator to update from Clover 2.4 r4128 to r4509. I did this because of having trouble getting the boot OS X installer to start the upgrade. Currently the system has sierra on it.
After upgrading Clover I found that my Sierra OS shows as 'legacy' in the clover logs and are not shown as options to boot from. Im currently unable to boot Sierra (having not upgraded yet) as I have no bootable partitions detected in Clover.

I attempted to create a USB clover drive with the older version of Clover to see if that will allow me to boot and then downgrade Clover in my EFI partition on my OS X partition. However I cant even see the Clover USB drive I created as a bootable drive upon startup (by holding f12 for boot menu, there is no mention of USB in there at all). I used this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

Im stuck now, with what to try. I suspect it is something to do with Legacy and UEFI Clover install mode that is stopping the OS X partition from being detected by clover. Please can anyone help?

The specific error Im seeing in EFI/CLOVER/MISC/preboot.log is:
"Result of bootcode detection: bootable unknown (legacy)"

Last edited:
I managed to solve the issue. I managed to make my usb drive bootable with a copy of Clover on it. In all the guides to make a bootable clover usb they do not cover one step on high sierra that is needed in disk utility. You need to go to View menu and tick 'Show ever partition' Then you can select the usb drive parent and format that as Mac OS journaled and it will show up in your boot devices when starting the machine. I setup a clover drive as per the guide and was able to boot https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/

Then I copied a backup of my EFI data into the main drives EFI partition (backingup and removing the existing EFI data first).

Then upon reboot all my old config.plist was picked up and I could see all the system drives. System back to normal.

Lesson learnt: if you see a clover update in Clover Configuration tool and install it (I am assuming that as that was the behaviour I saw), it does not copy across your existing kexts and config.plist. Perhaps there should be some warning in the tool as part of the process when updating Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back