Contribute
Register

[Solved] Updated system definition only boots in safemode - how to revert to backup config.plist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170 - E
CPU
i5 > See Rules
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In trying to upgrade my El Capitan system to High Sierra, I updated the system definition from Mac Pro (early 2008) to Mac Pro (mid 2010) in Multibeast. This caused it to not boot into Mac OSX - it will boot in safe mode. I have tried using MultiBeast in safe mode to switch it back to Mac Pro 3.1, but get an error - "The installation failed", and says to check the log - but I can't find the log in Apple>Library>Logs>DiagnosticReports.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've tried a few things - I created A boot USB for High Sierra and it wasn't recognized in Clover when I tried to boot from them. Today I tried to make a Sierra boot drive and followed instructions that said to use clover configurator to mount the EFI partition, which it woudn't do - the mount partition buttons didn't do anything. From what I've read, it won't mount the EFI partition in safe mode.

After reading many threads that have similar issues, I'm thinking the best thing to do is to try to restore a backup config.plist file I found in the EFI-Backups folder. Unfortunately, I erased the original Clover boot USB for El Capitan in order to make the High Sierra boot USB that didn't work.

Right now I have two hard drives installed - the one that El Capitan is on, and a brand new SSD that I want to have High Sierra installed on.

I am not sure what the best course of action is here - fix El Capitan by somehow reverting back to the backup config.plist I found on the current El Capitan hard drive, or can I do a fresh install on the second hard drive with High Sierra?

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

it will boot in safe mode.
If it boots in safe mode then you are probably not too far away from it booting normally.
Boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops and complete your profile so that we can see what we are working with.

Thanks for quick reply. I've attach jpeg of Verbose mode pic at stop. Think I omitted mother board info ( Asus z170 - e) which I updated.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20180304_152230.jpg
    20180304_152230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
Thanks for quick reply. I've attach jpeg of Verbose mode pic at stop. Think I omitted mother board info ( Asus z170 - e) which I updated.
Thank you!
The KP is because you used a MacPro5,1 system definition but neglected to delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext.

Boot in Safe Mode and either change your system definition to one that doesn't use ECC RAM or,
In Finder navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/ and move AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to the Trash or,
Use the Clover patch for ECC RAM.
Restart and boot without caches.

Followed your instructions and no success on boot. No "AppleTyMCEDriver.kext" to delete. Can't change system definition back to MacPro3,1 (failed install with MultiBeast). How do I use Clover to patch ECC RAM?

No "AppleTyMCEDriver.kext" to delete.
You are mistaken and your screenshot proves it :

AppleTyMCEDriver.png

AppleTyMCEDriver.kext is located in /System/Library/Extensions.

Can't change system definition back to MacPro3,1
MacPro3,1 does not meet the minimum spec to install High Sierra.

How do I use Clover to patch ECC RAM?
See "Allow booting with a MacPro4,1 or MacPro5,1 SMBIOS definition without ECC memory" in the Clover Wiki

You we're right, I located AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and deleted it. Was able to boot like usual.
Thanks for help on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back