Contribute
Register

[Solved] 'Unsupported CPU' Panic after switching Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake (10.12.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME H270 PLUS UEFI BIOS (Clover)
CPU
i5-7500 Kaby Lake
Graphics
Intel 630
Hey guys,

Could use some help here! I had a well-functioning rig running Sierra 10.12.6 on an Ivy Bridge i5-3570K / HD4000 until the Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard decided it wasn't for this world anymore. I have now upgraded (also listed in profile) to an i5-7500 Kaby Lake CPU / Intel 630 (DVI) on an ASUS Prime H270-PLUS mobo with 16GB of G.Skill DDR4. I'm using the same Samsung EVO 850 SSD as the Clover and Sierra 10.12.16 drive, with another Samsung EVO SSD running Win7. Win7 is running fine on the new CPU/mobo and boots via Clover.

Problem: Always encounter "Unsupported CPU" kernel panic during macOS boot (RehabMan cpuih.h line 712) - see attached screen shot

Using ASUS UEFI BIOS rev 0808 Defaults:
Fast Boot Disabled
Serial Port Disabled
XMP2.0
Extracted DSDT from Clover F4
SMBIOS set to iMac18,2 manually

Using Win7 mounted EFI partition and updated EFI/Clover/kexts/Other with latest FakeSMC.kext (RehabMan 2017-1017), LiLu and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

Searched many threads and found symptom is similar to this thread but the suggested resolution to BIOS did not apply:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-after-update-unsupported-cpu.236397/

I've tried making the ig-platform-id changes but it appears that it's not failing on Gfx, but always on CPU ID. The master branch for FakeSMC / cpuid.h at https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek/blob/master/Shared/cpuid.h shows the panic is likely coming from line 732 due to cpuid_set_cpufamily returning CPUFAMILY_UNKNOWN.

I also tried a variety of boot flags including "usekernelcache=no", cpus=1, -x, but they always result in the same panic.

Attached CLOVER.zip (includes preboot log), config.plist and panic shot.

Any thoughts on why the i5-7500 CPU is not being detected? My understanding is Kaby Lake has native support in 10.12.6.
Fyi, preboot identifies CPU Vendor = 756E6547 Model=906E9

Unfortunately I do not have access to another Mac or a functioning USB boot stick. My only option is to mount EFI from Win7 and make changes to the config.plist, drivers, kexts, etc.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 281
  • panic_KBL_unsup_cpu.JPG
    panic_KBL_unsup_cpu.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 704
After looking at the boot log I consistently see:
Refusing new kext org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC, v1765.0: already have prelinked v1707.0.

Does this mean that the newer FakeSMC in Clover\kexts\Other is not getting injected and the older version from /L/E or the kext cache is getting used?

The config.plist has InjectKexts set to YES. Using the "-f" boot flag has no effect either. My understanding is the cached or /L/E version of FakeSMC is only used if InjectKexts is set to "Detect".

Clover version 2.4k r4097.

Update: I was able to resolve the issue by obtaining a macOS sierra USB installer. This allowed me to boot into the installer, access a terminal shell to remove the offending FakeSMC + associated sensor kexts from /L/E and rebuild said cache. Then, using a precooked Clover.zip for Kaby Lake, I was able to boot using the main SSD to access my existing 10.12.6 installation.

Lessons learnt:

1) Heed the advice and keep "essential" kexts such as FakeSMC in your Clover/kexts/Other folder. I don't know how these ended up in /L/E but any who...

2) Keep your USB installer up to date! Back in day, I was forced to do this in order to upgrade, but since 10.10, I was able to upgrade by the installer only.

Happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back