Contribute
Register

[Solved] Unable to create USB installation media for Big Sur on old iMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
CPU
i7-12700k
Graphics
RX590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using an old iMac to try and create a 32GB bootable USB stick to install Big Sur on my PC. The iMac is running El Capitan 10.11.6. The stick is formatted according to the instructions found in the How to Prepare for Big Sur thread.

I was able to download the Big Sur installer on my Hackintosh - before the hard drive failed. I've replaced the dead 120GB SSD with a 750GB SATA drive and want to do a fresh install of Big Sur on that.

When I try to create the USB media I see the following error in my Terminal:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/IAESD.framework/Versions/A/IAESD
Referenced from: /Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/../Frameworks/IAESD.framework/Versions/A/IAESD: stat() failed with errno=20
/Applications/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/../Frameworks/IAESD.framework/Versions/A/IAESD: stat() failed with errno=20

Does anyone know how I can create the Media? I have at my disposal, this El Capitan iMac, a Windows 10 PC and a Mint Linux PC.

Thanks!

What I ended up doing was building an installer for Catalina, installing that, and then upgrading to Big Sur.

I had a few issues, and still having a few more, but that's for another thread.

Well I'm on Catalina 10.15.4 and have still the same error...

I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 (19H505) the same error :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 15.15.59.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 15.15.59.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 118
Check what size the installer is in GBs. It must be the full size 12+ GB.

The keywords are dyld: Library not loaded.

A possibility may be resulted by the outdated version of Homebrew.

I knew the reason the hard way. If you are on a recent version of macOS like Catalina then most probably your downloaded installation big sur.app is corrupt.

You will need to download it (12 GB) again from a trustworthy host (like Apple itself) and with stable internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back