Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello,

I have dual boot with Sierra and Windows 10, both installed on the same SSD. Both operating systems and Clover are all installed in UEFI mode. The bios is also "UEFI only", no Legacy anywhere. "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot' are disabled as well. I can boot into Windows by selecting "Boot EFI from Windows 10" in the Clover menu.

The issue is that I can't shutdown windows 10 after that. It just comes right back up. I can shutdown if I run command
Code:
shutdown /s /t 00
just fine, but not from the windows menu.

Any ideas how to fix that? I tried different settings in Clover but no luck yet. Thanks.

I'd look in the Windows' Power Settings, making sure that Hibernation & Sleep are turned off. After that I'd look at the BIOS C-States, perhaps turning off C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7; turning them off one at a time, from the highest, C7, down to the lowest, C3, and re-testing Windows' shutdown through the shutdown menu.

Personally, I don't use C-States since I always completely turn off the PC; I want max performance. It might be different with SSDs, but I don't even want my HDDs to be spun down when possible. ymmv.

This is on a tablet, so I would rather keep windows hibernation/sleep and the skylake CPU states as they are. One of the main benefits of this device is the long battery life. I can shutdown windows with the command and I have created a shortcut that I can click on, but that's not how it is supposed to work.

Is true dual UEFI boot with OSx really possible then without making changes to windows?

This is on a tablet...

D'oh!

On a tablet, netbook, Surface, MacBook, laptop, etc., you'd have to make sure that all the controllers have their firmware and drivers updated, just as on a Windows machine one installs the latest Intel chipset firmware update and drivers, Intel MEI drivers, etc. And if Windows gets munged up then you may have to roll back a driver, like Intel graphics, by installing the Windows ShowHide program. Always beware of Windows Update installing an incompatible driver.

Re IMEI:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/EN-win10/thread-id/1698/page/5 That is probably not your model, but maybe it'll give you a clue as to how to best proceed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried 5 different versions of the IMEI drivers, starting from 10.0.0 all the way up to the latest 10.6.0. Neither made a difference, so I kept the latest one installed.

Turns out the culprit is "Windows Fast Startup" feature. I have "Fast Startup" disabled in the UEFI bios settings, but this is not the same thing. After unchecking the box in the power settings, shutdown works again!!

Here is more info:
http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

1.png

Congrats. :thumbs-up: Thanks for the linky. Hope it helps others. I turn off "all that stuff" on my W10 machine at work and at home since I do full power downs and switch off the power through power strips. I get a lot of laptop calls where I end up having to reconfigure all the power settings (hibernation, sleep, etc.) because at work we have one image that is applied to both desktops and laptops.

• When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.
  • Depending on your system, you may not be able to access BIOS/UEFI settings when you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled. When a computer hibernates, it does not enter a fully powered down mode. Some versions of BIOS/UEFI work with a system in hibernation and some do not. If yours doesn’t, you can always restart the computer to access BIOS, since the restart cycle will still perform a full shutdown.
I think a lot of guys here should be aware of those two points.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back