Contribute
Register

[Solved] The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer (High Sierra only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
XEON X5650
Graphics
GeForce GTX 260 + 9500GT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good old ga-x58a-ud3. Upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra today.

I have a spare with a CCC backup of Sierra in case I have to revert from High Sierra. That drive has its own bootable EFI partition with Clover, and another partition for data. (3 total: EFI, Sierra Backup, and Data)

The problem: After upgrading to HS the drive doesn't mount. I keep seeing the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer", and hitting initialize doesn't seem to do anything.

The drive still shows up on clover, the bootable sierra backup loads fine. I'm wondering if High Sierra has any additional protections to prevent the partitions to mount (like detected system files or the other EFI partition). Diskutil can see the HD, but doesn't show any of the partitions. I never had this issue on Sierra, Yosemite or any other previous OSX.

I have a third drive with just data, no EFI or system files that show up fine, so I really don't believe it is a driver issue.

Any clue of what might be causing this, and more importantly, how to solve it?

Thanks folks!

DYmwthL.png

YFedd6m.png

fJrHJOa.png

I solved it by using AppleAHCIPort.kext from 10.12.6. Anyone else having this issue you will need to disable SIP to copy it over, and make sure you install it with Kext Utility or else it will give you the stop sign.

I had a similar problem with a hard disk in my machine that i use for Time Machine.

I realized that it mounted correctly on a full shutdown/power up. If I just used "restart", it wouldn't mount. So I'm just sticking with full shutdowns.

Good old ga-x58a-ud3. Upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra today.

I have a spare with a CCC backup of Sierra in case I have to revert from High Sierra. That drive has its own bootable EFI partition with Clover, and another partition for data. (3 total: EFI, Sierra Backup, and Data)

The problem: After upgrading to HS the drive doesn't mount. I keep seeing the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer", and hitting initialize doesn't seem to do anything.

The drive still shows up on clover, the bootable sierra backup loads fine. I'm wondering if High Sierra has any additional protections to prevent the partitions to mount (like detected system files or the other EFI partition). Diskutil can see the HD, but doesn't show any of the partitions. I never had this issue on Sierra, Yosemite or any other previous OSX.

I have a third drive with just data, no EFI or system files that show up fine, so I really don't believe it is a driver issue.

Any clue of what might be causing this, and more importantly, how to solve it?

Thanks folks!

DYmwthL.png

YFedd6m.png

fJrHJOa.png

Hi ElectronShaper,

I got the exact same problem as you described.

I recently give a try to High Sierra, coming from Yosemite and 2 of my old disks are not readable by the new OS.

I'm pretty sure that they were OK from Sierra (this system didn't stay a long time on my HDD, because I used it to download and upgrade to HighSierra)

When I boot my Yosemite disk, everything is fine and I can access my 3 disks (YosemiteHD, CacheHD, and Data)
When I move to High Sierra, only the Data hard drive is readable. The YosemiteHD and CacheHD are not readable.

Strange thing, if I put those 2 disks into an external USB/e-sata drive, HighSierra can access them !!

I'm wondering like you, if the EFI partition is involved in this behavior.... my YosemiteHD has an EFI partition for sure .... I cannot remember if the CacheHD has got one ..i'll check this evening with Yosemite loaded

Where can I find the kext you mentioned : AppleAHCIPort.kext ??

I don't have Sierra installed anymore

Thx

@++
Dwarf

Hi ElectronShaper,

[...]

Where can I find the kext you mentioned : AppleAHCIPort.kext ??

I don't have Sierra installed anymore

Thx

@++
Dwarf

So, the problem is solved by now.

The issue is an IO error with my old motherboard Asus P6X58D-E which runs an intel ICH10 chipset !

I didn't use the kext you mentionned from Sierra but the Clover patch 'On the Fly' method found here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...ownloads-files&do=findComment&comment_id=6496

This is working extremly well and I can now access my disks !

@++
Dwarf

Last edited:
how do you disable this "SIP"?

So, the problem is solved by now.

The issue is an IO error with my old motherboard Asus P6X58D-E which runs an intel ICH10 chipset !

I didn't use the kext you mentionned from Sierra but the Clover patch 'On the Fly' method found here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...ownloads-files&do=findComment&comment_id=6496

This is working extremly well and I can now access my disks !

@++
Dwarf

Have same issue. Link is not working. Is there another link or could you share the steps to fix the issue?

Error: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer (High Sierra)

Solved the issue by downloading Apple AHCIPort.kext from this link (post #5). Saved AHCIPort.kext on Desktop used KextBeast (Downloads section) to install AHCIPort.kext to only /Library/Exstension/ (checked option within KextBeast).

Solved the issue by downloading Apple AHCIPort.kext from this link (post #5). Saved AHCIPort.kext on Desktop used KextBeast (Downloads section) to install AHCIPort.kext to only /Library/Exstension/ (checked option within KextBeast).

I tried this and it still didn’t work for me any other suggestions?

Thank you very much, that did the trick

Thank you very much, that did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back