CPU
i7 7700k
Graphics
HD5770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had a 24' screen. all fine. I wanted to connect a second screen with my Ati Radeon 5770 and could, so all fine.

I needed SwitchResX to change from "billions of colors" to "millions of colors" to stop this flickering with the color which i always had with this system and i always solved it that SwitchResX's setting.

Now, already with both screens working i was trying some SwitchResX's settings and i happened to click the "video mirroring option" and everything blew up. The screens were mirrored now, and the mouse was moving but i cannot click anything, also can't do anything with the keyboard, so basically the computer kind of crashes, have to reset. I uninstalled SwitchResX but it still happens whenever the system detect the other screen.

I don't know what i touched but i desperately need to set it back as it was, because I cannot use anymore my brand new screen. SwitchResX must have modified some system setting.

Furthermore while trying to make it work i cannot boot if second screen is connected, even when power cable is disconnected , i have the usual black screen with the white apple and the progress bar but when it tries to login logo comes back and progress bar turns red with green tips, freezing there with some hard HDD activity for a while.

Last edited:
Solved it editing while in single screen the com.apple.windowserver.[long number here] file at ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/, i found the profile with two screens and one of them had the key "Mirrored" with a value of 1, changed it to 0, also the MirrorID changed whatever number to 0, rebooted with both screens plugged and viola! .
Watch out the "video mirroring" setting in ScreenResX, you can fin yourself stranded in unpleasant waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back