Contribute
Register

[Solved] Swapping out my i5 6500 skylake cpu for an i7 7700K kabylake cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.1) (Bios: F22a) (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

I've had a running hackintosh with only minor issues for the last year and a bit, however, I just got an i7 7700K processor and I'm planning to swap out my current processor (an i5 6500).

My question is, does anyone know if my hackintosh will just start back up no problem after I swap out the processors without any changes? OR are there changes that need to be made before the swap? OR are there changes I need to make, but they can be made after the swap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please note that the Intel Core i7-7700 has Intel HD Graphics 630 and you need to adjust your config.plist for that.

- Intel Core i5-6500 (Intel HD Graphics 530)
- Intel Core i7-7700 (Intel HD Graphics 630)

Please note that the Intel Core i7-7700 has Intel HD Graphics 630 and you need to adjust your config.plist for that.

- Intel Core i5-6500 (Intel HD Graphics 530)
- Intel Core i7-7700 (Intel HD Graphics 630)

Good point, thankfully I have a 1060, so it actually ended up working without a hitch. I just swapped out the cpu, put in new thermal paste, installed my new fan, and boom, everything is back up and running.

I had my hackintosh usb at the ready in case, but in the end it worked fine without it.

At some point in the very near future, I'm likely going to do a full fresh install just to make sure there's nothing problematic going on in the background that I'm unaware of right now, but at least when I do I'll know I have a backup I can return to if screw something up on the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back