CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been able to install (specs below), including applications such as Office 2011 for Mac. But when I try to boot from the system drive, the progress bar slowly goes to the end and nothing further occurs. I'm wondering if it is an EFI issue, because when I attempted to use the audio_cloverALC-110 script to enable sound, I repeatedly get the message that the target EFI partition is unmounted, installation failure - even after I've mounted it using EFI_Mounterv3.

I've tried booting from the F12/ EFI option, making it the first option in BIOS, etc., but nothing seems to change. Should I be certain all of the BIOS settings used for the install remain? After the install I optimized defaults, which probably changed some of those.

GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
i7-3770K
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz RAM
SSD - Windows 10 Pro
SSD - El Capitan

Thanks!

Successful install, but cannot boot from system drive

Please put your specific GPU model into the system configuration area on the left. It's a lot easier to give you good advice with that information on hand every time.

Did you install UEFI or Legacy? We need to know that to troubleshoot the startup problem.

If you want to look at the error from the audio script, please post the entire output or the script.

Thanks for replying. The specs on the left are for my first machine, which is running Yosemite 10.5.5 via a Multibeast install.

I'm having the El Capitan installation issue on a newer machine, specs provided in my first post. It's GPU is an nVidia GTX 570. Previously I ran Mavericks on it with no problems.

I was unsuccessful installing Yosemite on it with Multibeast, so when El Capitan was released I decided to do a clean install using the TonyMac recommended method, including the UEFI BIOS settings for my board.

I used the Clover UEFI bootloader, not Clover legacy.

The only way I know how to view the result of audio_cloverALC-110 is to reinstall El Capitan over my existing install. Otherwise I haven't been able to get it to boot - either from its SSD or via Recovery.

If you boot from your install USB, but then select start up OS X on the system drive, can you get in that way?

Thanks - I tried that initially, but without success. I had the impression that the contents of the USB boot drive changed during my installation - but I don't know that for a fact.

I'll try it again, making sure the BIOS settings are as specified for an El Capitan install.

Happily I can boot successfully to El Capitan from the USB install drive, provided UEFI USB is the first boot option in BIOS. After F12, I select USB, Clover loads, then I boot from the SSD.

I tried to run the audio script after mounting the UEFI partition on the EL Capitan SSD, and it ran - for the first time! However I'm still seeing no Audio Input or Output selections in Sound.

This is of less concern to me at the moment than getting El Capitan to boot directly from its SSD.

Thanks.

This is of less concern to me at the moment than getting El Capitan to boot directly from its SSD.

While you're in El Capitan, why don't you copy the contents of the USB drive EFI partition to the system drive EFI partition. Then eject the USB drive and try booting from the SSD. If it hangs again, reboot and hit space bar on the Clover menu and select verbose, and post a photo of the screen where it hangs.

Thank you!! I copied the EFI contents from the installer to the SSD and El Capitan booted directly from the SSD. Also changed the SSD in the BIOS boot order - need to have Windows 10 booting first - and the EC SSD still booted from Clover!

Finally, the audio script worked so I have sound - as I suspected, yesterday I mistakenly applied it to the USB installer, not the SSD, so naturally no selections appeared.

Now it seems I'm good to go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back