Contribute
Register

[Solved/Success] Substitute graphics card in order to upgrade to Ventura

I'm bored so you are probably in luck with that, as I have generated an OpenCore EFI based on OC 0.9.3 that should work with your Coffee Lake Z370 system. It is based on the EFI folder I use for my MSI Z370 Pro-A system.

The EFI contains the SSDT's, Drivers, Kexts and Tools you need to boot a Z370 CFL system when a discrete GPU is used to drive the display(s), i.e. it uses a headless framebuffer for the Intel UHD 630 IGPU.

It doesn't contain the SMBIOS data for your system.
  • You will need to copy this from your current Clover config.plist.
  • Using your current SMBIOS data will be fine as long as you are using either the iMac18,3 or iMac19,1 SMBIOS.
  • If you are using anything else you need to generate a new SMBIOS based on one of these two systems.
    • If you continue to use High Sierra then use the iMac18,3.SMBIOS
    • If you use Mojave or newer use the iMac19,1 SMBIOS.
If you have created a custom USBPorts.kext for your system you will need to add the kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder along with a companion entry for the kext in the config.plist.

If you don't have a custom USBPorts.kext why not!
That being the case you will need to add the following:
  • USBInjectAll.kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder along with a companion entry in the config.plist and
  • You will need to enable the Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit entry in the config.plist.

The OC EFI is set to boot macOS High Sierra or newer, i.e. contains the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion required for High Sierra.

The config.plist doesn't contain any AMD or Nvidia boot arguments. for the following reasons.
  1. Your RX6600 is not supported in any macOS release prior to Monterey 12.1.
  2. You currently have a working installation of macOS High Sierra, which you can use to test the OpenCore EFI, to ensure it works before you try to upgrade your system to Ventura.
Using the EFI:
I would recommend you get hold of a spare USB pen drive, any size as you will only be using the 200MB EFI partition, and do the following:
  1. Format the USB pen drive as HFS+ GUID in Disk Utility with a single partition.
  2. Mount the EFI partition on the USB pen drive,
    1. Use hackintool or similar so you can see the EFI partition on your desktop.
  3. Make the edits I recommended above to the EFI folder.
    1. If you get stuck or can't for some reason make the edits necessary let us know, we may be able to help.
  4. Copy the completed/revised OC EFI folder to the root of the EFI partition on the USB pen drive.
The EFI folder is now ready for use.

Now you need to do the following:
  1. Shutdown your system.
  2. Insert the USB pen drive in a spare USB2 port on your case.
  3. Boot up your system and access the Bios Boot menu,
    1. You need to press the F8 key on an Asus board to access the Bios Boot menu.
  4. Select the UEFI partition on the USB pen drive as the boot device.
  5. This should boot you to the OpenCore GUI boot screen.
    1. Press the Spacebar button.
    2. This will unhide some Drivers.
    3. Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi driver.
    4. This will clear the systems current Nvram and automatically reboot your system.
  6. You need to select the USB pen drive from the Bios Boot menu again.
  7. This time select your macOS High Sierra icon from the boot screen.
  8. This should boot your system in Verbose mode, i.e. lots of text flowing across the screen, till it goes black and then the Apple progress bar appears.
  9. The next thing you should see is the Login Screen for macOS.
If you decide to use this OpenCore EFI let us know how you get on.

If not, update your Clover setup as recommended by @UtterDisbelief.

Hi Edhawk

I was able to 'flash' your config file with a terminal online tool from github (I forget which), in order to update my SBIOS data, etc.

All of your instructons above worked for High Sierra.

So after confirming I could boot from your EFI, I copied it over from the bootable USB, and replaced the Clover files on my main drive EFI partition. Was able to boot just from drive.

Then I tried upgrading to Ventura just the normal way, by just double clicking the app downloaded from Apple Store. My system restarted and after some 'verbose mode', screen went blank, computer still running. I waited about 10 minutes before deciding to restart. OC found the mac install app and again went into verbose mode, lasting a bit longer this time. Alas after it was done I am not able to boot back into macOS.

Each time before booting I made sure I used ResetNvram.

I am wondering if maybe I needed to change my SMBIOS to iMac 19,1 before running the upgrade to Ventura (could it be this simple?? Is this what I did wrong?).

The only other thing I can think of, is that maybe I need to use the OpenCore patcher to run the upgrade to Ventura...

Anyway, thank you again for the EFI, mighty generous of you! Any pointers or tips on the way forward from here greatly appreciated, thanks!

Using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS would be the best match for your system running macOS Catalina or newer.

Your Coffee Lake system doesn’t need any ’Patcher’ to run Ventura. Especially not OpenCore Legacy Patcher.

Using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS would be the best match for your system running macOS Catalina or newer.

Your Coffee Lake system doesn’t need any ’Patcher’ to run Ventura. Especially not OpenCore Legacy Patcher.
Fantastic. I’ll try flashing the config file next time before running ‘install Ventura’ with that SMBIOS identity and let you know if it works.

Can’t help but think I’m missing something bigger than that, but we’ll see!

Hi Edhawk

No joy

Updated SMBIOS to 19,1 and added agdpmod=pikera to boot arguments.

Same result. Goes into verbose mode then I lose the screen. Left it running for over 2 hours in case it was installing something ‘behind the scenes’. Then restart, oc finds the Mac install partition, another restart and then won’t boot into macOS.

I’m thinking of doing a vanilla Ventura Opencore install now… as I have no idea where I’m going wrong

Hi Edhawk

No joy

Updated SMBIOS to 19,1 and added agdpmod=pikera to boot arguments.

Same result. Goes into verbose mode then I lose the screen. Left it running for over 2 hours in case it was installing something ‘behind the scenes’. Then restart, oc finds the Mac install partition, another restart and then won’t boot into macOS.

I’m thinking of doing a vanilla Ventura Opencore install now… as I have no idea where I’m going wrong
I have moved your thread to Desktop Support

please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Not a bad idea if you have a spare drive to install macOS Ventura on, while keeping your current macOS drive save.

You can use Migration Assistant to copy Apps, Data etc. from your current macOS drive to the new Ventura drive.

I have moved your thread to Desktop Support

please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Not a bad idea if you have a spare drive to install macOS Ventura on, while keeping your current macOS drive save.

You can use Migration Assistant to copy Apps, Data etc. from your current macOS drive to the new Ventura drive.

Thanks guys, I’ve updated my sigs wherever possible to include the new gpu.

I’ve had success with this! I’m surprised the migration assistant has worked as well as it has!

However, there are some issues.

Firstly, it seems that I have to boot up 3 times, though not always. The first 2 times I get black screen, then it seems to work on the 3rd boot.

Yesterday when shutting down, I had a repeating message in verbose mode:-
[AHCI][PRT][00170020]AbortCommands: :5381 : Port 2 called, deviceWithError 0, errCode = 0xe0030005

Any idea what might be going on?

Shall I attach my EFI? (I used OCAT to create it)

Thanks!

One of the main issues with any migration tool, cloned drive etc. is that if you have rubbish in your original setup you just move the issue to a new clean installation on your system.

Did you have any Verbose text messages like this previously?

If you look in your IOReg and use the search function, can you find SATA Port 2 [00170020]. Which drive is it referring to, your new macOS drive, a Windows drive, the old macOS drive or another 'Data' drive?

If you disconnect all other drives except your macOS drive do you see the same text message when you shutdown the system?

One of the main issues with any migration tool, cloned drive etc. is that if you have rubbish in your original setup you just move the issue to a new clean installation on your system.

Did you have any Verbose text messages like this previously?

If you look in your IOReg and use the search function, can you find SATA Port 2 [00170020]. Which drive is it referring to, your new macOS drive, a Windows drive, the old macOS drive or another 'Data' drive?

If you disconnect all other drives except your macOS drive do you see the same text message when you shutdown the system?

I upgraded to two new M.2 drives, which makes isolating them from each other a pain. However after disconnecting my old SATA drives, I’m getting a far more consistent boot into Ventura now!

Im not certain, but for all intents and purposes, I think this is solved! I will post another thread if this statement comes back to bite me. Thanks for your guidance once again, absolutely invaluable, and this community is incredible!

Back