Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH-OC8.3
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
RX 560
I recently upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra which has screwed up my software RAID 1 setup, which previously worked flawlessly.

The RAID is comprised of two identical 1TB HDD drives, formatted as GUID Extended (Journaled) and attached to the same Intel 10 Series SATA controller bank on my motherboard.

Since upgrading to High Sierra, I have experienced and tried the following:

1. Disk Utility displays "Mirrored Set (RAID 1) Status: Degraded
2. One of the two HDDs status is "Online" and the other is "Rebuilding 0.0%"

I backed up the contents of the RAID and have tried the following:

1. Deleting the RAID through High Sierra's Disk Utility app, erasing and repartitioning both drives and using the Disk Utility RAID Assistant to rebuild it. The same message and status above resulted.

2. I used the following commands in terminal:
a. "sudo diskutil list" to get a list my disks
b. "sudo diskutil appleraid list" to get the uuid of my raid
c. "diskutil appleraid remove UUID-OF-MY-FAILED-DISK UUID-OF-MY-RAID" to remove the disk that is stuck on "Rebuilding: 0.0%"
d. "sudo diskutil appleraid add member disk3 UUID-OF-MY-RAID" to add the second disk removed in step c. back to the raid.

Neither approach has resulting in the second disk of the raid being rebuilt. Any ideas?

High Sierra/Disk Utility/RAID is broken, useless.

Use Terminal

RAID 0:
diskutil appleRAID create stripe name JHFS+ disk0s2 disk1s2

RAID 1:
diskutil appleRAID create mirror name JHFS+ disk0s2 disk1s2

where name is RAID volume name

Hi Toleda and thanks for the help. I followed your instructions, but after the terminal finished completing the mirrored RAID, the RAID (named My_Documents) ejected and I received the Disk Not Ejected Properly notification.

I rebooted the computer and it is giving me the same error and when I launch terminal and type diskutil appleraid list, the RAID appears but both disks say Failed under Status.

Do you have any idea how to fix this? I verified both disks, then erased and formatted them both JHFS+ prior to utilizing your command. Both disks appear perfectly healthy and this exact same setup worked perfectly prior to my fresh install of High Sierra.

For erase, try
diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ a /dev/disk0
diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ b /dev/disk1
a and b are temporary
Do not reformat

Run Post #2 command

If no success, attach output from
diskutil list
after each command entered and attach to reply

Thanks again for your kind assistance. It turned out to be a bios issue, which was rectified once I updated to version F22d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back