Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

another newbie needs assistance with his first OS X experiences.
I bought the following hardware in the hope of building my first Hackintosh with an original vanilla kernel and using the iBoot Supported from this site:

- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
- INTEL Core i5 750
- MSI N470GTX-M2D12 (V801-835R) (the new GTX 470 fermi card from MSI)
- 4096MB 2x2 PC1600 G.Skill RipJaws CL8-8-8-24 F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
- SUPERFLOWER Super Flower Crown Modular 800W ATX 2.2 80plus SF800K14A
- 4GB (2er Kit) G.SKILL ECO Serie (F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO)
- there's also still a remaining IDE DVD-Writer from my old system, connected to the sole IDE-port

I tried using the iBoot Supported as well as I tried the iBoot NVIDIA. Both with the result that after I try to boot the Mac OS X 10.6.3 Installation Disc a lightgrey screen with an darkgray Apple logo in the middle appears and after a few seconds a little pixelized "no entry"-sign at the top of the apple, as if he wants to tell me "this OS is not for you my friend". :(
My BIOS settings are set like the ones in tomymacx86's screenshots and I also removed all cards except my graphic card in the first PEG-slot. Also I haven't any devices plugged in except from keyboard and mouse. I followed his guide exactly.
I tried it now reams of times with the Supported, the NVIDIA, with normal mode, with safe mode... always with the same result...

Hopefully,
Mario

/edit:
I read something about typing -v for more details, so I now tried a boot with -v -x a few minutes ago and shot a screenshot from the place he stocks which I'm adding here.
The last comment he gives is "Still waiting for root device".
(Yes, I'm using the blue SATA-ports, not the white Gigabyte ones and SATA mode is set to AHCI.)

/edit2:
I found this link about the root device error.
About Step 1: My DVD drive is attached to "IDE CHANNEL 4 MASTER" (but it's the only IDE port on my board). The rest of this list is empty, my 2 SATA drives are listed on the next screen.
About Step 2: I'm using the same settings like the screenshots in the guide. There's no ATA/IDE Mode setting, SATA mode is AHCI, S.M.A.R.T. is enabled.
About Step 3: Well, I already tried other versions earlied, but I bought this system and over all the Gigabyte board to get a original-nearly system running.

Happy for every hint I can go about. :)

Attachments

• verbose.jpg
    verbose.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 350
Re: Gray Apple logo with "no entry" sign after iBoot

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your board.
Set the jumper on your IDE DVD drive to "cable select".
Disable S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS. It has nothing to do with OSX reading the S.M.A.R.T. status.
Not sure about Fermi support in the current iBoot version.

BIOS already is the newest (F11).
The rest I'll instantely as soon as I'll come home this evening.
Thanks. :)

Okay, IDE Drive set to Cable Select, S.M.A.R.T. disabled.
Still waiting for root device. :?
Could fermi really be the reason for this error message?

Any other hints? :(

RaveAngel said:
Okay, IDE Drive set to Cable Select, S.M.A.R.T. disabled.
Still waiting for root device. :?
Could fermi really be the reason for this error message?

Any other hints? :(

Hm, sorry, not from me...

It's either a problem with Fermi or with your BIOS settings. Have you double-checked with Tony's settings from the manual?

The P55A-UD4 has an unsupported ATA chip- we're working on a driver, but unfortunately, the JMicron36xATA will not work for you. You'll either need to follow the USB Method, or get a SATA optical, or you'll always get the waiting for root device. This ALWAYS has to do with an unsupported CD/DVD drive when you're dealing with iBoot.

Oh boy, and I thought with a P55 Gigabyte board, everything should be fine. :|
Okay then, I will try it this way to bypass the IDE Controller. Needs 2 - 3 weeks from China to Germany, but I first try it with a 2,37 € adapter before buying a new DVD RAM. I won't give up this time, I want my own Snow Hackinpard. :thumbup:

It didn't work. The SATA controller doesn't detect the optical drive. :(
If I buy a 8 GB USB stick and follow the USB method, will my PC be able to boot with the drive still plugged in?

Is this the logo you're seeing?

bad_apple.jpg

If so, what exactly does it represent if anything in particular?

I've been playing around with iBoot on a couple of different systems I have and I get this after the system chews on the Snow Leopard disc for a minute or two.

Type "-v -x" when you insert the Snow Leopard Disc for safe and verbose installation and have a look at the last message you get before it stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back