i3-4130T/H81
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Updating an older Toshiba SandyBridge laptop.

This is a simple Intel HD3000 version of the Toshiba L755 not the one with the dedicated NVidia GPU.

It had been running Mountain Lion flawlessly for a long time. I now have Sierra 10.12.6 loaded and most everything looks really good: SpeedStep, audio input and output, LCD backlight control, HDMI video & audio, USB ports, battery power status, you name it.

However, 2 major flaws remain.

1. The laptop reboots when going into sleep. Not when waking from sleep but when initially going into it.
2. The laptop reboots on shutdown.

I have extracted a fresh DSDT as advised in the FAQ and tried all kinds of fixes, patched AICPUPM and RTC kexts, DSDT edits and config.plist entries all to no avail.

This system will even attempt sleeping and then reboot with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded !

There is one thing a little different about this laptop. It sometimes gets into a state where it will not turn on at all, a brick. When this happens, I remove the battery and hold the power button to do an EC reset. Then it starts again just fine.

Every once in a blue moon, it will just lock up, mouse cursor continues to respond but nothing else is happening, even the CPU readings on HWMonitor freeze. I need to do a hard shutdown and then it won't turn back on until I do the EC reset.

Just wondering if it's related, maybe an Embedded Controller related issue with the sleep and shutdown.

I have enclosed support files, DSDT source with comments, CLOVER folder, & IORegistry file.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea.

Attachments

• SleepReboot.zip
    5 MB · Views: 99
Updating an older Toshiba SandyBridge laptop.

This is a simple Intel HD3000 version of the Toshiba L755 not the one with the dedicated NVidia GPU.

It had been running Mountain Lion flawlessly for a long time. I now have Sierra 10.12.6 loaded and most everything looks really good: SpeedStep, audio input and output, LCD backlight control, HDMI video & audio, USB ports, battery power status, you name it.

However, 2 major flaws remain.

1. The laptop reboots when going into sleep. Not when waking from sleep but when initially going into it.
2. The laptop reboots on shutdown.

I have extracted a fresh DSDT as advised in the FAQ and tried all kinds of fixes, patched AICPUPM and RTC kexts, DSDT edits and config.plist entries all to no avail.

This system will even attempt sleeping and then reboot with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded !

There is one thing a little different about this laptop. It sometimes gets into a state where it will not turn on at all, a brick. When this happens, I remove the battery and hold the power button to do an EC reset. Then it starts again just fine.

Every once in a blue moon, it will just lock up, mouse cursor continues to respond but nothing else is happening, even the CPU readings on HWMonitor freeze. I need to do a hard shutdown and then it won't turn back on until I do the EC reset.

Just wondering if it's related, maybe an Embedded Controller related issue with the sleep and shutdown.

I have enclosed support files, DSDT source with comments, CLOVER folder, & IORegistry file.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an idea.

Your setup is a mess.
Probably best to start over:

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Although you should read the FAQ for an overview of issues, the Clover guide is linked from the first question: "Q. Where do I start?", just after the bold face "Clover Guide".
Here is a direct link, just to be clear:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also, your profile must be filled out with complete details as requested in the FAQ, again under "Q. Where do I start?". All seven details requested are equally important.

And if you have an issue (after following the guide), or on any other problem, you must provide a detailed description of the problem including information that helps us understand what you're doing. Always attach "Problem Reporting" files as per FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html
The required files and data are fully detailed in the last question in the FAQ:
"Q. What are typical "Problem Reporting" files?"

Ah, u always tell me something like that and then I stumble onto a relatively simple fix that gets it all going. Oftentimes it's from a solution you, yourself posted, in response to a query something like one of mine, lol !

I continue to applaud your contributions to the community, though for me, it's mostly as an eavesdropper.

I appreciate you taking the time to have a gander at my issue.

BTW, this is officially my 127th hack. I remain confident that I'll get it.
But, like most of my solutions, it will be at least partly due to the support of this wonderful community.

Let me thank you personally now in advance as it could quite likely be another one of your solutions ;)

and guys, sorry 'bout whiffing and posting in desktops instead of laptops.

Rock on ...

Hmmm, seems this thread might have been marked as solved just a bit prematurely but, as it happens, I did indeed find the culprit.

I do appreciate your confidence in me :))

It turns out that my problem was entirely caused by the LAN/ethernet kext !

This old Toshiba L755 laptop has the Atheros AR8152 LAN chip onboard so I went with the v1.02 ALXEthernet.kext.

I believe this to be the latest available, tho' I might be mistaken.

My first clue came during trouble shooting, when everytime that I attempted to remove the Ethernet interface in System Preferences->Network, the system would KP in ALXEthernet.kext. I needed to first remove ALXEthernet.kext from EFI->CLOVER->kexts->10.12 and then the interface could be dropped peacefully.

After that, the system shuts down w/o rebooting with no special mods necessary AND most importantly of all, all initiations of sleep work perfectly, by menu selection, PowerSave timer and lid close. Plus lid wakeup is swift and unaided, no K/B or power button touch needed.

I ended up rolling back to the older AtherosL1cEthernet.kext. Either version 1.01b9 or 1.02b2 is OK.
While unplugged, my Ethernet interface status shows as Self-Assigned IP with a bogus 169.254.x.x address but it works, if connected. The poisonous ALXEthernet.kext correctly showed my ethernet status as Unplugged, BTW.

So that's a wrap !!!

Hopefully this helps somebody else out there lest this info is not found in the FAQ ;)

Laterz

Hmmm, seems this thread might have been marked as solved just a bit prematurely but, as it happens, I did indeed find the culprit.

I do appreciate your confidence in me :))

It turns out that my problem was entirely caused by the LAN/ethernet kext !

This old Toshiba L755 laptop has the Atheros AR8152 LAN chip onboard so I went with the v1.02 ALXEthernet.kext.

I believe this to be the latest available, tho' I might be mistaken.

My first clue came during trouble shooting, when everytime that I attempted to remove the Ethernet interface in System Preferences->Network, the system would KP in ALXEthernet.kext. I needed to first remove ALXEthernet.kext from EFI->CLOVER->kexts->10.12 and then the interface could be dropped peacefully.

After that, the system shuts down w/o rebooting with no special mods necessary AND most importantly of all, all initiations of sleep work perfectly, by menu selection, PowerSave timer and lid close. Plus lid wakeup is swift and unaided, no K/B or power button touch needed.

I ended up rolling back to the older AtherosL1cEthernet.kext. Either version 1.01b9 or 1.02b2 is OK.
While unplugged, my Ethernet interface status shows as Self-Assigned IP with a bogus 169.254.x.x address but it works, if connected. The poisonous ALXEthernet.kext correctly showed my ethernet status as Unplugged, BTW.

So that's a wrap !!!

Hopefully this helps somebody else out there lest this info is not found in the FAQ ;)

Laterz

For Atheros Ethernet, the FAQ recommends Mieze's AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext.

For Atheros Ethernet, the FAQ recommends Mieze's AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext.

as per the developer's FAQ ...

FAQ

• Could you add support for AR813x and AR815x? Sorry, no, because I used a different linux driver as the code base than Shailua which doesn't support these chips so that it would be too much work to add support for them.
-----

No worries, this old Toshiba lappie is 100% now. Just an incompatible ethernet kext. But what a nasty incompatibility, huh ?

Have you ever seen an ethernet kext singlehandedly cause reboots on shutdown AND sleep yet function correctly otherwise ?

Just goes to show that no matter how much planning & research goes into these, there is simply no substitute for good, old fashioned, tedious, grueling, step-by-step, experimentation, lol :)

Sure beats "starting over" tho' !

as per the developer's FAQ ...

FAQ

• Could you add support for AR813x and AR815x? Sorry, no, because I used a different linux driver as the code base than Shailua which doesn't support these chips so that it would be too much work to add support for them.
-----

No worries, this old Toshiba lappie is 100% now. Just an incompatible ethernet kext. But what a nasty incompatibility, huh ?

Have you ever seen an ethernet kext singlehandedly cause reboots on shutdown AND sleep yet function correctly otherwise ?

Just goes to show that no matter how much planning & research goes into these, there is simply no substitute for good, old fashioned, tedious, grueling, step-by-step, experimentation, lol :)

Sure beats "starting over" tho' !

Yeah, the Mieze's kexts are best, but if your hardware is ancient, she tends to not support it.

You might take a second look at your setup though. My suggestion of starting over is due to significant mistakes you made along the way which are all too obvious looking at your Clover folder and config.plist settings.

Yeah, the Mieze's kexts are best, but if your hardware is ancient, she tends to not support it.

You might take a second look at your setup though. My suggestion of starting over is due to significant mistakes you made along the way which are all too obvious looking at your Clover folder and config.plist settings.

My Clover folder & config.plist ?

I do practically nothing in there other than load my own SSDT, suppress the 10.12 initial boot glitch and patch for HDMI audio. It's pretty bare bones. I don't think that I even inject video.

All of my mods are done in the DSDT. I'm a retired programmer so I prefer old school.

That's been my style since the early 90's when I was building Intel NeXTStep systems.

Heck, in a sense, that may make me one of the very first hackintoshers, lol !

Sure, u don't have me confused with somebody else ?

BTW, u can't even install this laptop with UniBeast ... hangs just prior to going to graphics mode.

Best Regards

My Clover folder & config.plist ?

Yes.
They are nothing like what you would end up with if you followed my guides.

Some example of the brokenness:
- no kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, so in the event of a system update, you won't be able to boot the installer to perform the update. Same goes for not being able to boot the recovery partition.
- dropping all SSDTs results in problems in DSDT when the code there references symbols that were in the SSDTs. For example, the PNOT method references CPU related identifiers that were dropped because the CPU related SSDTs were dropped. When these symbols are referenced, it will cause ACPI abort. And there are many places in DSDT that call PNOT... Best to not drop those SSDTs, such that the symbols are still present in ACPI namespace. Unless those SSDTs cause KP,.. then you must drop them but patch DSDT appropriately such that the symbols are no longer referenced (PNOT patch).
- panel backlight control not implemented correctly
- USB configuration not correct
- I didn't look at DSDT as there is no ACPI/origin/DSDT.aml to compare against

BTW, u can't even install this laptop with UniBeast ... hangs just prior to going to graphics mode.

My laptop guide does not suggest using Unibeast.

Sure, u don't have me confused with somebody else ?

100%
You attached the files in post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back