Contribute
Register

[Solved] Security Update 2017-002 Sierra breaks nvidia web drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I tried the patch before the update but it defaulted to the Apple Nvidia driver. Luckily though the Nvidia driver is updated now 378.05.05.25f04. However my audio driver didn't work so reverted to a USB audio device for my sound again. Then I realised that Apple update the AppleHDA.kext so reverted to the patched one for my Dell T20 audio and worked again phew!

Not directed at you just a general rant.

Does anyone bother to read the instructions or even just glance at the text on the screen when running the script ?

The patch, if you're talking about the https://github.com/corpnewt/Web-Driver-Toolkit , should have been run AFTER you updated.

Example:

You install the 2017-002 the update. This changes the Sierra build to 16G1114, but the web drivers you had installed were only allowed to load with the previous build 16G1036. You run the script and choose 'Patch Menu', then choose 'Set To Current Build Number'. It does its thing. Quit, reboot - All good.

As far as your audio not working everyone should know better than patching system kexts to that extent. It's 2017 not 2009. Injecting AppleALC through Clover in conjunction with Lilu will patch AppleHDA on the fly. SMH. You guys need to ditch these outdated tools and methods and go vanilla.

Just sayin'.

EDITED for clarity.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I tried the patch before the update but it defaulted to the Apple Nvidia driver. Luckily though the Nvidia driver is updated now 378.05.05.25f04. However my audio driver didn't work so reverted to a USB audio device for my sound again. Then I realised that Apple update the AppleHDA.kext so reverted to the patched one for my Dell T20 audio and worked again phew!

The new driver has been released.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 09.43.52.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 09.43.52.png
    768.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back