1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, as the title says it's not working. I've got a ga-z170-d3h board, I was able to install sierra on one ssd one time and got rid of all the small things that needed adjustments. After that I installed windows 7 on another ssd but it was impossible to boot windows from clover. After thinkering and trying different things I decided to start everything from scratch. Problem is everytime I try to boot from the newly created usb stick to install mac os it's trying to boot the old os that's not even there anymore, the 2 ssd's are not even plugged in! How do I make it boot the installer?

Hi guys, as the title says it's not working. I've got a ga-z170-d3h board, I was able to install sierra on one ssd one time and got rid of all the small things that needed adjustments. After that I installed windows 7 on another ssd but it was impossible to boot windows from clover. After thinkering and trying different things I decided to start everything from scratch. Problem is everytime I try to boot from the newly created usb stick to install mac os it's trying to boot the old os that's not even there anymore, the 2 ssd's are not even plugged in! How do I make it boot the installer?
  • Clear CMOS could remove the above previously saved configs from the BIOS about disconnected SSDs and allow a fresh start.
    • Use a mini flat-head screw driver tip to "Short" the 2-pin CMOS-Clear on your Motherboard for 20-30 seconds and then remove.
    • This will deprive the CMOS Part of the BIOS of any Power from the CMOS battery that was enabling it to keep data when the Computer is shut down and no Power goes from PSU to the Board.CMOS is where Setup configurations are stored. In the absence of Power the Volatile Memory loses data stored in it. .REMEMBER: All your BIOS Choices made previously will be wiped off.
    • Another method is to remove the CMOS battery itself from its socket with the tip of the screw driver pushing on the retention clip. Keep the battery out of the socket for 20-30 seconds and then place it back
See the composite image of the procedure on your MoBo.
  • After shutting down the PC, remove Power Cable until the CMOS Clear is completed.
  • Use Electrostatic Precautions to avoid your MoBo components getting Static Electricity from your body. If you don't have an Anti-Electrostatic Wrist-strap, touch unpainted metallic part of the case to discharge Static from your body before touching things inside the case.
  • During reboot when the screen displays "Load Optimized Default BIOS ...." choose the Reboot option
  • On Reboot press Del key> BIOS setup> Re-enter current Year|Month|Date|Time
  • Re-enter all other BIOS setup options required for Sierra Installation and Save, and reboot
Hope this helps.
Post back if you need further help.​

Attachments

• Clear CMOS Technique.pdf
    374 KB · Views: 75
Hi cmn699, i did try the pin short operation but when I started the computer it already had the date and time. Is that because it didn't work?

thanks for taking the time to help me by the way ;)
If you have correctly done the CMOS clearing , the year will go back to the year your computer was made. I believe your Reset did not work to restore the BIOS to the original date.

You can retry using Removal of CMOS battery technique explained before. The end point of course is removal of those annoying problem of SSD's still showing up in the boot options when in fact they are no longer connected and gaining your ability to boot the Sierra USB installer. After CMOS Reset, make sure you have also correctly enabled the BIOS options regarding USB [like XHCI hand- off -Enabled EHCI-hand-off -Enabled].

Ok, Thanks

I might try it again this week, for now, i've installed Windows 7 and I'm currently testing the hardware to make sure everything is alright. So far i'm impressed with the performance of the rig. But I would really like to have dual boot.

you messed up the isb installer's boot loader, create a new one, then install as usual, and to have 2 drives its very easy, on one ssd install windows as usual, ok? and leave the hackintosh ssd unplugged, once your windows is as your likeness, just plug the hackintosh drive, and set bios to boot from that drive, clover will see the windows drive, and if you just 2ble click on it it will boot from that one, if you do nothing it will go straight to macOS

Ok, I did try to flash the cmos twice today but when I start the computer I get a message that states it has been reset but it still knows the day and time. I jump the cmos reset jumpers with a screwdriver for 30 seconds. After that I loaded the usb stick, clover appeared, I chose boot from usb. And it stays there with the apple logo and the progressive bar under, not moving. And the light on the stick stops flashing.

I'll try to create another stick when I have two minutes. Thanks for the help guys!!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Little update. I took another usb stick and created a new installer following the guide provided on tonymac. Chose boot from usb in clover and it does the same thing. What puzzles me is it start to boot from the usb and then the led on the stick stops flashing completely, as if there was no power. I'm using usb 2.0 port just beside the ps2 connector. I don't have anymore ideas on how to fix that...

well it still lists other devices? maybe is a card reader messing up, or multiple partitions in a hdd, but that is secondary, regarding to your crashing and usb stopping, loon in bios and be sure to enable xhci and ehci handoff, and to disable virtualization, as well any paralel comm ports configuration. it should work

also use -v in bootarg to see where is locking up

Hey guys! Little update. I took another usb stick and created a new installer following the guide provided on tonymac. Chose boot from usb in clover and it does the same thing. What puzzles me is it start to boot from the usb and then the led on the stick stops flashing completely, as if there was no power. I'm using usb 2.0 port just beside the ps2 connector. I don't have anymore ideas on how to fix that...
Boot your system in Verbose Mode and post a picture of your screen when it freezes/hangs.
At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Verbose (-v)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back